• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kick Panel Speaker Boxes?

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
If you are good with wood, heres what i built. You can no longer use your Ebrake and you have to move your high beem switch, but i had to anyway with roll cage.

carspeaks.jpg

carspeaks2.jpg

fstik

im thinking about mounting one of those alum/stainless? mixing bowls behind the panel. spray liner both sides to protect and help with sound and mounting the speaker flush.

Same idea I had!!! I already bought 2 sets of stainless mixing bowls from Harbor Freight (I think they were about $7 per set), just haven't had the chance to do the job. Looks pretty simple, they even have a lip on the edge to screw them down.

fstik

OP
OP
R

rdv350

Loc.
Scranton, PA
Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I will see if I can some speaker boxes to fit inside, if not I might try recess them into the kick panel.

SnwMnkys, what size speakers did you make those boxes for? Do the size or depth of the boxes effect how the speakers sound?

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I got 2 stainless mixing bowls after reading this discussion. I will photo document the procedure and post when complete.

The bowls I got were from WalMart and had a non-slip rubber bottom.

1.5 L size. O.D. of the outer rim is a little over 7" and are 4" deep... perfect-o for the Alpine 6" components I'm putting in there.

While I was scratching my head... on this and before reading this thread... I thought about making the firberglass enclosures (similar to the wood ones above) and moving the E-Brake to the left side of the drivers seat (Lokar)... with the bowls I think there will be plenty of clearance for the stock E-Brake.

The Lokar mod would have required altering my 12gal Aux gas tank... but it would have been pretty slick regardless.

I just think the bowl deal is the best option. Just coat the inside and outside with Rhino and it should make the sound better, be water-tight and keep the stereo system in stealth mode.

OP
OP
R

rdv350

Loc.
Scranton, PA
How are you going to attach the bowls to the kick panel? Will the RVT hold them there or do you need to screw them on?

Definitely post some pictures when you are finished. I would like to see how that looks.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Mounting the speaker there is too low for my taste.....

Mud seem to like it there also.....

Attachments

• DSC01967sm.jpg
    DSC01967sm.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC01970sm.jpg
    DSC01970sm.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 115

smoked77

Loc.
Columbus, IN
I had some mounted in the kickers for awhile. Seemed like they always got kicked when someone was getting in and out. Didn't help that their feet were always muddy. It sounded good, but was not practical for me. There really is not a good place to mount speakers in the front unless you redo the dash...IMO.

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I got the bowls from WalMart... waiting for my 5.25" Alpines to come in so I can decide the proper way to go here.

Idea 1:
Mount the bowls to the outside of the kicker (in the wheel well) and cut the exact size for the speakers in the kicker. Spray bedliner on both inside and outside. Bolt in every 2' or so around the rim... seal with form-a-gasket or equiv. Speaker grille mounts with about 1/2" to 3/4" sticking out of the kicker but not enough to mess with the stock E-Brake. Mount tweets in the dash... mount the crossovers under the dash.

Idea 2:
Cut holes the size of the bowls and push them through from the inside. Bolt, seal and bedliner em inside and out. Get Black Powdercoated kick panels from Ghost66 and cut the speaker shape out of that. Mount the speakers to the kicker covers instead of the actual kicker. Line the bowls with Dyna Mat on the inside. Again, Speaker grille mounts with about 1/2" to 3/4" sticking out of the kicker without messing with the stock E-Brake. Mount tweets in the dash... mount the crossovers under the dash.

I think I'm opting for idea #1... I may try to find another size bowl depending on how big the actual cage/magnet of the speakers are. There is a restaurant supply right around the corner that may have a better selection of bowls to choose from. It would seem logical that having the seal on the outside of the kicker would stave off leakage possibilities better, be more sturdy as far as mounting the speakers themselves and less time consuming with a cleaner finish than idea 2.

Somebody asked me why do it this way instead of cutting a hole in the doors. Answer: I have power door locks, power windows and remote mirrors... lots of stuff to shove back in there and wires to run through my 5/8" stainless wiring looms without adding a set of speakers, more wiring, crossovers, etc. and I hate those spring loaded connector/contacts in the door jambs.

Any ideas before I start cutting would be appreciated ;) Speakers arrive prolly Thursday... cutting would commence Friday...

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
This may sound laborsome...
Make a stensile and start drilling 1/8" holes and mount the speakers behind the panel. This way nobody can "accidentliy" kick in the speaker grills or tear them up. Line the backside of the perforations with a cloth speaker screen to prevent the majority of dust and debris from getting in. 3M makes a nice spray adhesive for this.

Just another 2 cents worth.

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
definitely an interesting idea... but that just sounds waaaay too work intensive to protect $10 speaker grilles...

Not sure what that would do to sound quality either?

doghauler

Loc.
Western WA State
5.25 infinity speakers fit nicely inside a 6" ABS cap......(with a 1/2 spacer on the inside of the kick panel). If you notice, the first photo shows the "L" bracket I used to attach the ABS Cap. Little silicone sealant and finished it off with "rattle can rhino"

Attachments

• Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 228
  • Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 261

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I would be afraid that the ABS would shatter if a rock hit it?

Might try doing something with a stainless measuring cup... we'll see what happens here...

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Think I may have found a better box for 5.25"... and they come in different depths depending on the depth of the speaker itself.

Steam table stainless pans.;D

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/images.cfm?ItemID=92220649

I found some at a local restaurant supply that are far less bulky than stainless bowls and would appear to be easier to mount without taking up too much space and less modification of the fresh air intake for the heater box.

I also like them because they aren't plastic so no chance of shattering if a rock hit's em.

Photos soon...
92220649_lg.jpg

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
OK... here are a set of photos preparing the new speaker boxes in my kickers (5.25" Alpine component X Series).

I Took the steam table pans and placed them on the outside kicker walls so that there was enough room to clear the vent intake and give enough room above the floor to mount both the speaker and the box.

Drawing around them, I made sure there was enough clearance for everything and ample room to screw things together

I determined and drew out the space needed to be removed for the 5.25" speaker in the kicker panel

I cut the areas out with a Sawzall and finished the edges of the holes so they wouldn't snag anything.

Next set of photos will be undercoating the steam pans inside and out and then sealing and mounting them to the kickers.

Stay tuned... ;)

Attachments

• Abronco07.jpg
    Abronco07.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Abronco06.jpg
    Abronco06.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Abronco05.jpg
    Abronco05.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Abronco03.jpg
    Abronco03.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Abronco02.jpg
    Abronco02.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Abronco01.jpg
    Abronco01.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Abronco00.jpg
    Abronco00.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Abronco08.jpg
    Abronco08.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 71

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Grafico,

I'm working through the same modification on my frame-off as well.

One difference with mine is that I have removed the heater completely (I live in Florida) so I will use the existing heater fresh air intake hole. And, I am using a lokar hand brake from my parking brake option.....so no worries on the driver's side.

I like your bowl idea, but I simply fabricated my "back boxes" and welded them to the back side of the kick panel. I lined the outside with Durabak and the inside with Dynomat. I also used one of those foam speaker enclosures that they sell at Crutchfield's.

The one thing you want to consider is WHERE are you going to route the speaker wiring that attaches to the speaker posts? At some point, that wiring is going to have to come through your kick panel and into the back of your new box.

:cool:

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Pete,
I'll notch the edge of the kicker holes and run the wiring back up next to the installed speakers and run the wire under the carpet and back up to the dash for the remote tweeters. The Alpine X-Series Tweets are so teeny that they are easy to put just about anywhere.

Show some photos of your mod. I'm sure people would love to see that mod too! ;)

I'd like to see a photo story of how you would put in the Lokar e-brake as well...