• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

King Pins on Dana 30

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
Can anybody point me in the direction of some guidance as it relates to replacing the king pins on a D30. I have searched without any luck. Id love to find a video of someone replacing them biut have had no luck thus far. Thanks for any guidance/advice. Also is there a good way to check them. Mine seem tight but I'm sure they are original. Trying to tighten up my front end to eliminate death wobble. Thanks, TW

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Have you checked all the other Death wobble culprits? Tie rods ends loose, track bar bushings, trackbar geometry, egg shaped track bar mount holes,movement at pitman arm, steering box loose, frame cracked near the steering box, tire balance/tire pressure ect.
King pins are a pain in the ass. Have to tear apart the front end. Pretty simple though, just have to shim them right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
If you want to get an idea of what a repair kit looks like go to Bronco Graveyard site and look under D30 parts and it shows how the parts are in the order to repair a kingpin.

OP
OP
redfishtony

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
If you want to get an idea of what a repair kit looks like go to Bronco Graveyard site and look under D30 parts and it shows how the parts are in the order to repair a kingpin.

Ive looked at the parts brake down and they dont look to be to complicated. I think I'm gonna start with all new bushings and see it that solves my problems. As for checking the king pins, ive pried around and they dont seem to be moving at all. Bearings seem tight on both sides. Never messed with them but I would think there would be some movement if they were bad. Thanks, TW

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That would be the normal test, so they sound like they're still decent.

What kind of a wobble are you experiencing? Is it a repeatable (often happening at the same spot on the same road) ultra-severe shaking of the front end?
If so, try rotating the front tires to the rear and see if it changes or goes away.

If it's not severe enough to shake the steering wheel practically out of your hands, or feel like it's enough to break parts. Or not severe enough to make you want to change your shorts after the first time you experience it, it's not really a Death Wobble.;D

Paul

OP
OP
redfishtony

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
That would be the normal test, so they sound like they're still decent.

What kind of a wobble are you experiencing? Is it a repeatable (often happening at the same spot on the same road) ultra-severe shaking of the front end?
If so, try rotating the front tires to the rear and see if it changes or goes away.

If it's not severe enough to shake the steering wheel practically out of your hands, or feel like it's enough to break parts. Or not severe enough to make you want to change your shorts after the first time you experience it, it's not really a Death Wobble.;D

Paul

Paul, Just spent today tearing the front end apart. Glad I decided to just drive into it because ALL the bushings are shot. Drag link bushing where it mounts up top was gone. Not sure when or how it completely came out but I know when the shaking started. Fixing to take the springs and have them coated and order a bushing kit. My goal will be to have it ready to take to Townsend in the Spring.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You going to change the c-bushings and trackbar bushings while you're in there?

Paul

chuckyb

Contributor
BTW I think the image of the kingpin damper repair kit on the WH site is most helpful. Get a race punch to help with tackling that job. I also needed evaporust to get the pins out of the knuckles.

OP
OP
redfishtony

redfishtony

Loc.
Thomasville GA
All new bushings for sure. Shocks also. Here’s pics of my track bar bushings. Please don’t laugh 😂😂😂

Attachments

• 88275759-9E86-4612-8DDE-B350BDF82E88.jpg
    88275759-9E86-4612-8DDE-B350BDF82E88.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 8E2FECC5-07AC-4989-A553-B2D4E0FD70F0.jpg
    8E2FECC5-07AC-4989-A553-B2D4E0FD70F0.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 24

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Yikes! I bet that thing was a handful to drive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk