• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Late shift into second, help

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
Hey guys, I had my AOD rebuilt because of two things, the front pump was bad, and when cold it was hung in second gear not downshifting to first. Well it took two attemps for the shop to get it to stop hanging up in second when cold. Now that works ok but when I get on it, it wont shift into second until the valves float and I back off a little on the throttle (over 6k). Second to third is fine. When cruising it shifts late in first and way to hard for daily driving. I know they played with springs on the governor. I don't think they touched the Lentech valve body. I did check line pressure myself and it's right on the money. What should I look for?

Thanks

workforce

Loc.
Natchez, MS
It's the governor hanging I've been through the ringer with an AOD. Mine would always hang in gear on downshift finally went with a lentech non-locking convertor and it fixed it but now the trans runs hotter. And it sucks not having a lock-up. But I would bet the governor in yours is hanging and causing the bad shifts. When mine was freshly rebuilt it did similar things. I floated the valves making it shift to second. I put some miles on it and it does fine now.

OP
OP
FASTERDAMITT

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
Since I know they where messing with the governor trying to fix one problem, I think they created another. Just cruising at light throttle it won't shift to second until 35-4000, then slams in gear causing the front to lift dramaticaly.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
It sounds like time to maybe find a new tranny shop. Are you bringing it in out of the bronco, or are they installing it? Hopefully they haven't done any permanent damage to the valvebody yet.

OP
OP
FASTERDAMITT

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
I don't think they touched the VB. I told them about Lentech and hopefully they left it alone. They pulled it out also. What happens if they put lighter springs on the governor? The mention something to that effect.