• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaf Spring Install

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
hahahaha... was just outside getting ready to install my leafs and went completely blank. Felt really bad about it until this search....lolololololol.

Perfect thread!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You'd find out pretty quick though, that the double-wrap is an awkward fit into the shackle end. Not that this will always stop you of course, because it can fit, but it usually brings up the same question.

And in case you're not sure about this too, the stock shackles are installed with the open face to the rear.

Another thing that's cropped up a lot lately is the outer spring wrap contacting the metal of the spring hanger. So far this has not been anything dangerous, but in some cases you can hear the clunk, and also see a wear pattern on the metal.
You can still run them this way, but if you are cleaning up the main eye bolt hole anyway (like a lot of Broncos need) you can lower the hole slightly at the same time (1/8" is all you might need). Easily done with weld-washers if your holes are all buggered like so many are.

Paul

JeepGuy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good info again. I got the springs in no issues, checked the clearance of the hoop in the front and no contact over a wide range of motion. The thing that delayed me the most was seating the rear shackles in the hangers.... what a PIA that was. I had just purchased the super shackles from WH and thought maybe they were a tad wider but nope... I'm guessing over time and tightening of the lower shackle bolt, the actual housing had compressed a bit. It took a bit of time and a lot of rubber mallet & metal clamp combo but they are in.

I did install them with the cross plate facing the back of the Bronco though, which you say is opposite of the stock shackles. After reading your post I went out and cycled everything through again and don't see any binding issues at all with the m installed that way. Are there known issues if they are reversed?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correct. You're in good shape JeepGuy. Only the stock ones are open-face to the rear as far as I know. Our shackles are the opposite (seems more natural anyway).

And when it comes right down to it, a few members here have reported no binding even with the stock shackles in backwards. But more than not, that position won't allow full forward rotation. With ours you're in good shape.

Another milestone achieved then!
What about the axle? Is it installed too? If not yet, don't forget to open up the spring perch hole for the larger center bolt if you're also using our springs.

Did you get yours installed yet Ohio Bronco?

Paul

BROwN COw

Just to verify, stock springs have the single wrap to the back, right?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stock leaf packs only have single-wrap eyes at both ends. Never had double-wraps from the factory.

But there is still a front and back. It's not absolutely critical, but the "Berlin eye" goes to the front on a stock spring. The eye where the leaf is more flat as it enters the curve goes to the rear.
If you're not sure what that is, post up a pic and we'll point it out.
Though it's hard to see in the highlight pic, if you look at the main shot of the leaf pack on this page (http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Leaf_Springs) you can see the slight curve to the leaf before it enters the single wrap eye on the right.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unless you meant stock height replacement leaves? If that's what you meant, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Even in the case of stock height, or any height spring, if only a single eye has a double-wrap spring, it ALWAYS attaches to the vehicle at the rigid frame hanger. That's usually the one in the front of course, but in case of some odd application, the double-wrap always goes to the frame, NOT the shackle end.

Paul

BROwN COw

Picture says a thousand.
d218dc5a894dfce5de0b056bbd085c77.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You betcha! And yours is right on the money it looks like.

Paul