• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaf spring liner vs spring bumper spacer

hatleyjm

I recently removed my spring pack to recondition my leaves. I was looking through some online articles and found an article on leaf spring liners and how they decrease friction between the leaves and help prevent corrosion. My leaf springs are from TBP and are for a 3.5" lift. When I disassembled the pack, I didn't see any liners but they did have the plastic/nylon spring bumper spacers at the ends of most leaves. My questions are:

--Are the liners and bumpers comparable?
--In my case do just the bumpers suffice?
--Has anyone ever had both the liners and bumpers on their springs or is this advised against?

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
I feel like most of the friction is coming from the tip of the leaves since that is what sees the most movement, so I think the plastic pucks are just fine.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Yes, those are tip liners - they're just round with molded pins for leaves with holes near the tips. But they do the same thing as all others. They don't "bump" when the spring is compressed; they're ALWAYS in-contact when the vehicle weight is on the suspension, so they only slide.

OP
OP
hatleyjm

hatleyjm

Thanks for the advice. I’ll just replace the ones I accidentally broke during removal :rolleyes:

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
If you really want the springs to work slick while you have them apart make some spacers to go between the leaves at the spring perch. They want to be slightly longer than the spring perch itself and about the same thickness as the pad of the tip sliders or perhaps a little more. The idea is to create an air gap between the adjacent leafs.
Like this, but this is a poor example because these springs didn't have tip sliders on all of the leaves:

i-BXnmKt5-L.jpg

OP
OP
hatleyjm

hatleyjm

Thanks for the advice. I also like that there’s an air gap to allow moisture to get out and help with drying.