• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

leaf spring torq

1970mule

Bronco Guru
what are the torq specs on the u-bolts on the leaf springs and the eye bolts as well? thx:)

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
don't know what ones you're using, but i installed a set of WH's extreme a few weeks ago and they recomended 100 ft lbs.

OP
OP
1970mule

1970mule

Bronco Guru
well i have the WH but just the regular duty ubolts. ok thx

BIGED

Guru ????
X3 on checking them after you drive them a few times.

70_Steve

Old Guy
No pattern, but, as with any u-bolt, it's important to take up evenly on both sides of the u-bolt. I've even used a ruler to measure how much bolt is past the nut as I'm tightening them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would have said more like 65 to 75 for the standard duty ones. I think that's even what WH recommends for them. We had a discussion about it a few months ago. Might do a search, or call them in the morning to make sure.

Extreme duty ones are larger diameter and come with heavy top flanges don't they Stallion?
Are the standard ones 1/2" 1970mule? Or could they be even smaller, at 7/16"? Probably 1/2, but thought I'd ask, since if they're just 7/16 that 100 lb would definitely be a bit high.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
stock U bolts would be ½"
Mine might have had 1/2" threads, but the shanks were necked down noticeably less than the 1/2" replacements I used.
And, I broke three out of four just trying to get them off the first time. It was interesting to watch the shanks twist as I tried to remove the nuts. Went back and forth a couple of times and then, snapp-o!
Real potential knuckle-busters they were.
Went to 1/2" aftermarket (Ranchos) the first go-round, then up to 9/16" the last time. World of difference.

the WH plates are about ½" thick, and the U bolts are 5/8" diameter.

Nice. Now that's what I'm talkin' about when I say: "With some things, there's no such thing as overkill."

thanks

Paul