• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaf Springs Or Block?

BAMA

Loc.
PALM DESERT
Not Knowing Which Direction I Wanted To Go After I Bought My Bronco I Bought New Drive Shafts Then Did A 5.5 Inch Suspension. Started Breaking U Joints And Took Some Of The Shims Out Of The Leaf Pack. Now My Ride Sits About 2" Lower In The Back. Should I Put Springs Or Would A Block Do?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Are you wanting to keep it lower or go back, not sure on your direction. If you are breaking joints, check that pinion angle and shim it so that you will be back lined up.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Throw the leafs back in and reshim the pinion, wouldnt that work? You can get those shims just about any angle.

kntr

Bronco Guru
The cheapest and best route is to buy the shims ($35) and put the leafs back in.

OP
OP
BAMA

BAMA

Loc.
PALM DESERT
I'm Confused! The Shims Were Throwing The Angle Off And I Was Breaking U Joints. Now That I Have The Right Angle Should I Just Install The Leaf Springs Without The Shims?

matt69

Loc.
Peoria
No, I think you need to order the correct shims to correct the angle for the added leafs/lift.

matt

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Put the leafs back in and then only install the shims if that is what is necessary to correct the angle. I.E. The shims should not just arbitrarily be installed. The driveline angles need to be checked first and then if it is necessary get shims to correct it.

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Some people (me) have had problems with torque twisting the springs on a 5inch lift and breaking u-joints. I tried to solve the problem by getting rid of the shims (they like to spit out the back) cutting off the old spring perches, rotating the housing (to match driveline angle) and welding on new longer spring perches.

Still had a axle wrap problem so I picked up a Tourqe tamer (axle wrap bar) from Duffs and it has solved the problem!

I do recommend getting rid of the shims if you can though. If you run the harder trails they will round out the center pin and hole and they may spit out the back.