• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leak from top of the transmission

BruiserOutdoors

I have developed a leak from what seems to be the top of the c4 automatic transmission/dana 20 transfer case. The bottom JB fab twin sticks are wet. The c4 pan and d20 cover seem dry. The side cover on the c4 had a drip.

I am trying to narrow down where the leak is coming from. It is not a drip but a significant leak. The rear axle, and rear tank skid plate are fully coated in what seems to be ATF. And the tailgate and back hatch of the hardtop were wet from wicking. I was cruising on the interstate at 70 mph. I noticed it when filling up at the gas station. I had added half a quart of ATF before the trip but I believe the leak started during the last time I had it out. The dipstick level doesn’t seem any lower now, which makes me wonder if the t-case is leaking.

As anybody experienced something like this? Venting issue? Overflow issue? T-case mating surface leak?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Probably C4 vent which is at the top and front of the adapter. Either C4 is too full or the fluid is getting too hot.