• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Least dusty pads for '77 discs

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Just got my '77 home from a 1 1/2 year frame off professional restoration, and found extreme amounts of black dust on the front wheels. I asked to have ceramic pads installed. Now I wonder what I have and what to do next? The pads and rotors are new so a different set of pads should be a straight up install.

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
I had to order ceramic pads. They weren't avaliable locally. I haven't used them yet, but all of my other vehicles have ceramic and I'm very happy with them. If you don't know for sure from the box, then it sounds like they are probably semi metallic.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I didn't get the box. I just have the pads already installed. They could be semi metallic or organic. I don't know how to discern what they are. I do think I need ceramics.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've used modern ceramic pads and found that even though they're supposed to be cleaner, were actually some of the messiest I've had.
Don't have a good recommendation otherwise, but so far am having good luck with my Power-Stop. Don't remember which model, but I'll get that for you.

As an aside though, the model I got was not good at multiple hard stops I found out recently. Very big brakes on my Buick and was smoking the brakes on the third hard stop from about 60mph.
More material on the Bronco pad I would think, plus more cooling mass. Still, something to take into account.

Paul

suckerpunched

cant say for sure on the Bronco pads but I can say this.
My wife had an older mercedes S500. we sold it a few months ago. the first time I did the brakes I used parts from the dealer. They would shed an incredible amount of dust, and I don't think they lasted 10k miles. they stopped good and never made any weird noises, but pads and rotors were almost $500.

The next time I did the brakes I used Centric ceramics from Rockauto, they had good reviews, and were $25. I knocked the glaze off the rotors with an air sander. I would say the amount of dust was 10% or less than what the OE brakes put out. No wierd noises and lasted around 40k miles.

TOOLMAN

I recently did EBC Red brake pads. A lot less dust than the previous Autozone ones I had. I have a Chebby setup, but I would assume they would have a Ford version.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
From my searches, the EBC Red pads are not available for Ford trucks, at least not Broncos.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, unfortunately no EBC pads for the Ford discs as far as I know. I've used Raybestos pads in the past with the Ford discs with no dust issues. They always are changing the names on their pads though so I couldn't tell you anymore which model they were.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
To add to that, I went to RockAuto and could find no ceramics from Centric. They seem to all be metallics. I ordered the Wagner OE replacement ceramics because I had good service out of the original brakes I got from Ford, as I am the original owner.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wagner offers their ThermoQuiet Ceramic pad for the Ford calipers, #PD50, and they worked pretty well on my '77 F150. That truck runs 35" tires, weighs 5200# and towed the occasional ATV/utility trailer, and it did it all pretty well except for the more demanding mountain passes loaded for bear with the trailer, but I doubt I would use my EB in the same way.

Centric offers their PosiQuiet Pro pads for that application: #50000500. I honestly don't know if these are ceramic or not and I haven't run them on an EB, but I've run them on other things and they were very quiet and clean, whatever they were. Some PosiQuiet pads I have on the shelf are ceramic, but that may be application specific based on the OE requirements.

Power Stop has a Z16 Ceramic offering, #16050, but I have no experience with that particular compound yet, but have had decent luck (given the price) with some of their sportier compounds on pro-touring and sports car applications.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My wife had an older mercedes S500. we sold it a few months ago. the first time I did the brakes I used parts from the dealer. They would shed an incredible amount of dust, and I don't think they lasted 10k miles.

Funny. I remember the seventies. Every then-newish Mercedes I would see rolling down the road had their nice aluminum wheels just covered in black junk. I had some friends with Mercedes too, one with a '79-ish(?) SL450 that was cleaned regularly and could almost never seem to be seen without the black death on the wheels.
Brings back memories.

Paul

Dbteak

I am using Raybestos Element3 pads. They don't dirty up the wheels like others I have used. I would use them again.

suckerpunched

To add to that, I went to RockAuto and could find no ceramics from Centric. They seem to all be metallics. I ordered the Wagner OE replacement ceramics because I had good service out of the original brakes I got from Ford, as I am the original owner.

honestly, Id have to go back and check. The pads I used could have been metallics. sorry about that.