• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

LED conversion in front turn signals

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm installing LED bulbs in my front turn signals and have a quick wiring question. I got the LED package from BC Broncos and the instructions require the installation of a resister in the turn signal wiring.

There are three wires in the stock harness: The ground wire is black, but the second wire is white and the third is brown.

The question I have is......which wire in the original turn signal harness is the turn signal wire.....brown or white?

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Not really sure but if you have a multi-meter or a voltage tester you can take the bulb out and turn the signal on and see which wire gets the power. Also not sure you need a resistor if you are still running the stock tail lights. There should be enough resistance to operate the flasher unit, it's worth a try first without the resistor, worst that will happen is it will flash incorrectly. Hang on to the resistors, you'll need them if you put LED's in the rear lights.

OP
OP
LSUpete

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks, but I need to know if anyone knows for certain which wire is for the turn signal.

I can do all that testing and trial by error stuff, but I would like to see if anyone knows....before I try all that.

By the way, I do have LED bulbs in the tail lights. AND, Chuck included these resisters in the package for a reason.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Thanks, but I need to know if anyone knows for certain which wire is for the turn signal.

I can do all that testing and trial by error stuff, but I would like to see if anyone knows....before I try all that.

By the way, I do have LED bulbs in the tail lights. AND, Chuck included these resisters in the package for a reason.

I did the same conversion and didn't need the resistors,I have a Heavy duty flasher and they work fine. I wondered why they just don't sell a electronic flasher with the kit instead of the loads.
I know it doesn't answer the question,but the less you chop up your wireing,the less trouble spots you'll have.

Also the electronic flasher has a much louder click,so I don't look as old as I am ,with my blinkers on.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored

I didn't mean cut any wires, just take the bulb out and make contact on the little buttons in the socket. Pretty quick way to identify.

Didn't know you had LED's in the back and you just said you bought the front. So yes... they were included for a reason.

Good luck.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

Brown is park lights.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
you can get the same results with a LED or "no load" flasher unit. IMO using the resistors is defeating the purpose if less amp draw. i have chuck's LED's and i use a no load flasher unit.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
new flashers are made for LED's and u wont need the resistor. Sometiomes the resistor will never work anyway! find a different flasher.

browngr5

Loc.
Eagle, Idaho
new flashers are made for LED's and u wont need the resistor. Sometiomes the resistor will never work anyway! find a different flasher.
X2 on the electronic heavy duty flasher. Check Schuck's / O'Reilly's for #232. It works for the low load that led's draw.