• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Left and right rear e-brake cable for 2.5 lift

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it necessary to buy the extended version of the e-brake cables for 2-1/2 lift? Unfortunately I don’t have any stock cables at the moment to see if they would be long enough.

Thanks Jeff

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How much off-roading might be in your future?

OP
OP
Gas Pig

Gas Pig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How much off-roading might be in your future?
Very little if at all. Is this a chance I might take it on a very mild trail sure maybe but places around me are pretty rough trail riding.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’ve used the stock length cables all the way up to 3 1/2 inches of lift.
On the street I don’t think you’d ever have a problem, but off-road they are indeed the limiting factor.
Well before the suspension runs out of room to move.

Personally, I would get the dimensions of both short and long styles, then crawl into the truck and take some measurements.
If you can get away with the short ones, it will make it easier than trying to keep the longer ones from flopping around and hitting things.
I have the long ones on my 71 with 3 1/2 inches of lift now, but don’t remember which ones are on the 68 with 2 1/2.
I’ll have to check that.

CDABronco

When I was installing my 2.5” lift, I couldn’t even get the passenger side leaf in with the stock length cable in. It is probably fine with weight on the leaf…..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, always had to muscle the springs into place. Disconnecting the cables at the adjuster helped.
But never had a problem when just driving around.

Even drove over the Rubicon multiple times with them limiting my travel.
Still made it through unscathed however.

I wonder if Ford changed the length of them at some point in the Bronco production run?

Broncojeepscout

Yep, always had to muscle the springs into place. Disconnecting the cables at the adjuster helped.
But never had a problem when just driving around.

Even drove over the Rubicon multiple times with them limiting my travel.
Still made it through unscathed however.

I wonder if Ford changed the length of them at some point in the Bronco production run?
Same topic but different question, does the cable belong over or under leaf springs?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry for the delayed response Broncojeepscout. I wanted to go check to make sure, and I'm surprised nobody else chimed in during the meantime.
I'm pretty certain that they should be under the leaf spring. It's really the only way they can go, unless you get much longer ones. If not, they bind up more quickly when stretching the suspension out a bit.
It would be cool to route them over, for more clearance and to keep them away from getting hung up on things, but the brakes just don't usually let them do that due to the angle of the dangle and the angle of the entryway into the backing plate.
And besides, after awhile the cable would just wear through by rubbing on the spring every time it moves even the slightest amount.

An original metal clad cable with the big metal spring wrapped around it might have sawed it's way through the leaf instead! But the modern jacketed type would wear through quickly.

Paul