• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lets talk about power steering conversions for a moment

cruiser

everyone wants $500 for the stock crap that was on 76-77' models. since these are so $$$$ and kinda suck for 35" and up rubber, what are some other alternatives for a solid conversion? thanks

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Well I dont think it matters which one you do they all end up costing big $$$
I like mine ...may be in for a little less than 500 but Istill have a big chunk...Mine is the ScottII box 65.00 then sent it to PSC for great rebuild 3.25 to 1 turn and reverse the gears in it 150.00 or so ..but then about 40.bucks for 20 inch drill bits to drill thru the frame they said I'D have to dill one hole I had to do 2 holes ...if your wheeling hard I expect this would weaking the frame some have broke their frames here ....and there is a plate to help make this stronger ...form here it how much you put in the pump and brackets WH sells a good bracket it about 40 also Napa sells a sag pump fpr this swap if I had to do it again this is what I'd want ....My pump was free from the junk yard ..hose made at parts house maybe 25...Seems like there is no way around that ujoint that cost 65.buck ..Now is also the time to change over to tilt wheel 25 to 100 get a 78 or 79 ford 150 tilt you can make the auto fit your manual...there are some go tech artiles on all this ..pullys gather them up as you go ..try to go smaller on you water pump ...I found a 3 grove for my balancer ..Buy grade 8 bolts for the frame..
It's the best mod I've done one fringer steering ....next Np435 or overdrive ..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The stock setup is not that bad the part that usually is the weak link is the pump if you swap to a saginaw pump the stock box would be fine. Like PAPITT said they will all cost about the same in the end. Even the 78/79 box which is the most common swap/upgrade all said and done will cost you close to that. As you will need 2 boxes to swap parts a seal kit then hope that its tight and setup correctly when your done not to mention that you will still need a pump, pulleys, brackets, hoses, Ujoint to connect possibley a new drag link. Once you add it all up the $500 stock setup is a good deal even if you have to upgrade the pump. Many of the kits out there are very well priced as you are getting a new or rebuilt box and the rest of the setup usually all thats lacking is pulley's.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
If you are into fabricating you and junk yarding you can do a PS system pretty cheap. But if that stuff isn't fun for you it is probably easier to buy a kit outright.

I have less that $200 in my power steering but it takes a little time and luck. Do the 79? F250 box with 82 F150 worm. It makes a really tough 4 turn lock to lock box. It turns the light front end of the bronco like the tires are on greased glass. I got the box and the worm for $60 on ebay including shipping. Rebuild kit was $40, and the Saginaw pump was one that I had laying around from another project. I think I wasted $40 or so on hoses. Made all the brackets myself.

Here is a link. The only problem is I understand the 4X4 box can be hard to find. Also on this same site under upgrades is an article about using the more common F150 2WD box on the inside on the frame rail. Not any cheaper but easier to find the box.

http://www.lonestar-ebc.com/Tech/TechItem.asp?TechId=8

OP
OP
C

cruiser

If you use the 79' f250 4x4 box, do you have to drill extra holes in the frame? do you have to swap colums for the PS swap?

OX1

Bronco Guru
If you use the 79' f250 4x4 box, do you have to drill extra holes in the frame? do you have to swap colums for the PS swap?

It's a 78/79 F150 box. F250 box will be inside the frame and will not work.

Recko555

Fab a saginaw pump from a junkyard and you will be well please in the results. Cost me $50 with new hoses.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Nothing wrong with a stock Bronco PS box....why do you think they are so hard to find? They are in demand b/c they are good. The pump is the weak link as others have stated. Many options on pumps...depends on what else you have going with your engine accessories. I paid $500 for my setup and I thought it was a fine deal. I have seen them for as cheap as $400. As others have said, if you go ahead and rebuild the box and upgrade the pump, it adds up and one of the kits is not a bad way to go.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
everyone wants $500 for the stock crap that was on 76-77' models. since these are so $$$$ and kinda suck for 35" and up rubber, what are some other alternatives for a solid conversion? thanks

All of this could have been covered in the search. If you are afraid of fab work or don't intend to properly brace the frame, I would highly recommend a stock box.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93224&highlight=toyota+steering

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88567&highlight=toyota+steering

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92304&highlight=toyota+steering