• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lets talk intakes

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I decided to take the stock ford 2v intake manifold off. I have laying around and thought to install a dual plane 4v edelbrock 289 performer on the 302 in the 1970. I noticed the stock intake has cooling port through the rear of the intake and the edelbrock didn't.

Looked around some more and found 2 edelbrock single plane 4v had the cooling port. My 74 has a weiland intake dual plane has the cooling port through the back as well.

Reading around a few forums to include this one, seems to instigate a debate. One school of thought is it's not needed if egr is deleted. Another school of thought is by omitting the rear intake cooling port leads to trapped air and cooling problems.

Since here in NC vehicles this old aren't inspected, I just assume install the 289 performer intake as is.

So what say you all?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Actually the older Performer intakes had the rear cooling port as well. I've used both types on the same motor with no difference in cooling, and neither had a problem trapping air.

bteutsch

I'm running the performer with the rear cooling ports, no problems here, one advantage though was when I added throttlebody fuel injection, I had an extra port for a second temp sender. Was able to keep the stock sender for the factory gauge.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have run the 289 Performer on 3 different SBF and never had a cooling problem with any of them. I don't believe any of them had rear water passage.

betzgb

Contributor
I have had 2 different Edelprock Performer manifolds one with and one without the rear water passage. Neither had a problem with cooling or any noticeable difference.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I have run both, and never had problems with either one, it was nice to have that extra port.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I don't see any advantage to a coolant cross over at the rear of the intake. The coolant going from the block into the heads hasn't passed through the heads where most of the heat energy is carried away. I'm guessing either the cross over or NPT hole in the cross over are what is being called a cooling port. It does nothing for cooling. The best place to source hot coolant for the heater is just upstream from the thermostat. Surprise! That's where all intakes have the heater hose nipple. The extra NPT holes were only places to mount ported vacuum switches or PVS to control the EGR valve. What you may want to consider is the configuration of the air passages. Single plane intakes are only helpful in high RPM power. The 2 plane intakes are better for low to mid range power where a truck needs it.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I'm running a Weiand dual plane 4v intake manifold and never a problem,I think it's a Street Warrior or some name like that,had it powder coated and the price was great,got it from Summit on sale,very happy with it,good luck.:cool:;D

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
Running the Performer 2 dual plane for a 302 with Edelbrock 750cfm on my '75 302 with just a lightly modified "RV" type cam. It has no cooling ports in the back. I do run a 1/2" phenolic spacer. I used the phenolic type in racing and found their heat dissipation qualities far superior to aluminum.

cekautsky

Loc.
Alta Loma, CA
Running the Performer 2 dual plane for a 302 with Edelbrock 750cfm on my '75 302 with just a lightly modified "RV" type cam. It has no cooling ports in the back. I do run a 1/2" phenolic spacer. I used the phenolic type in racing and found their heat dissipation qualities far superior to aluminum.
Did you use a divided wall spacer or an open center?

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
Did you use a divided wall spacer or an open center?

Divided spacer. That's what the local supplier recommended for my application. I had to take a thicker spacer off because of hood clearance issues. It was an aluminum one. We had used aluminum and phenolic on race motors and found the phenolic spacers much better at reducing heat at the carb. Sometimes as much as 50% better. Aluminum can be custom machined to do "other" things better though. :)