• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lets talk radios

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I've got a 73, with what looks like a hole for the the factory radio, the center cutout measures 4.15 x 1.80 inches. I am just trying to find an old complete none working radio. Did the size of the area differ from year to year in the Bronco or are all of the same? Does a radio from a Ford truck fit? Heck I'll even take an old one from the 80's.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Radio never changed as far as I know. Nothing from the 80s will just fit in there. Knowing the carryover parts, the radio probably fit something else from the 60's.
But for the most part, it is Bronco specific. At least that is what used most of them.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
with what looks like a hole for the the factory radio, the center cutout measures 4.15 x 1.80 inches

Not even close to how it came from the factory. The factory mounting holes for the radio were three circles of similar size and two smaller ones - for each of the knobs and one for the center light bulb.

Attachments

• Radio Holes.jpg
    Radio Holes.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Not even close to how it came from the factory. The factory mounting holes for the radio were three circles of similar size and two smaller ones - for each of the knobs and one for the center light bulb.
So how was the radio installed? By looking at this picture there had to be a hole in the center.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
b36ab41c2c0ba93967f74ca5893a2fbf.jpg

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
So how was the radio installed? By looking at this picture there had to be a hole in the center.

b36ab41c2c0ba93967f74ca5893a2fbf.jpg

Radio goes in from behind the dash, flat steel mounting plate up against the dash, one small nut on each of the knob studs, then the face screws into the small outer holes.

Attachments

• 20240720_184437.jpg
    20240720_184437.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
daddycreswell

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
Radio goes in from behind the dash, flat steel mounting plate up against the dash, one small nut on each of the knob studs, then the face screws into the small outer holes.
Well thank you for that information, I never knew that. So I'm on the hunt for an aftermarket 70's-80's radio then.