• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leveling out stance on stock LUBR

Mtymse63

My barnfind is coming along and actually took her for a short road trip down the hill to check for function. Pretty stoked that she drives and I haven't had to put too much money into her ;D.

Looking for expert advise on proper height of springs to purchase for leveling her out. Did a little research and some folks said, if you have a winch and heavy bumper use an extra 1.5" height over the height you desire. Having said that, my stock rear height is 7" and the front currently sits at 6". By jacking up the front it appears that 8" would work for new front height to get close to level (top of axle to bottom of frame).

So, if I add 1.5" due to heavy bumper and winch, I should purchase 3.5" springs, right? Please let me know if that sounds correct or if you have a different opinion. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 122

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great picture and rig!
I would not think 3.5 would be appropriate. Seems like it would be too much even with a winch. But you did say 2" put things visually where you liked it, so maybe I'm over-worried about it.

Where are you taking your measurements though? If that 6" is between the top of the axle tube and bottom of the frame rail, it would indicate an approximately 1" sag from stock. At this age, it's actually hard to say how much is winch and bumper, and how much is just old spring sag.
If you used one of our 2.5" lift springs it would probably give you 1.5 to 2 inches over stock. But you'd also be out of the soft area and riding on the stiffer coils, which might not be a good thing.

Adding a 3.5" spring potentially opens up a big can-o-worms since if it only loses 1/2 to 1 inch of height, you'd still probably need to modify steering and many other things to keep it driving as good as it does now. So don't go there yet unless you have to.

I'm sure someone will chime in with a good spring setup. But verify that you were taking measurements from the frame to the axle.

And by the way. LUBR means "Lifted Uncut Bronco" so you don't have a LUBR until you lift it at both ends. You simply have an uncut Bronco. Or UBR I suppose;);D

Doesn't matter though. Still a nice rig!

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
By the way... With the Bronco's current location you should be setting up some pics for next year's calendar shots!

Paul

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
Just replaced my suspension. My original front coils, with no winch/bumper, were sagging 1/2", so I imagine the extra weight of yours puts you down to the 6" you're seeing. I would go 2.5" coils. Given you're 1" high in the rear, I think it would sit perfect. If the rear is too low, you can always add a 1" block. If you want more height all around afterwards, add a 1" body lift. Many benefits to adding the BL also.

This approach will most likely keep all steering angles, driveshafts, brake lines, etc. happy.

Oh, if you go 2.5" coils, get the 7* C bushings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

Great info guys! And Dirtdonk thanks for correcting my UBR...if I lift the front will I have a WannaLUBR, NearLUBR, FrUBR...;D. Hopefully some day I'll be ready for calendar pics, trying to keep this Bronco as stock as possible so she'll probably never be "perfect".

Really don't want to have to modify anything else so I'd like to keep away from doing anything too extreme. I measured from the top of the axle tube to bottom of frame rail for my measurements. The Bronco had been sitting for 25+ years and hadn't been abused in any way so just assuming the spring sag has caused the 6" front measurement.

I think I will go with 2.5" Springs. Mpboxer, you suggested the 7* C bushing, are those necessary if I'm basically taking the height as closes as possible to stock?

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
I don't think you'll be at "stock" height and your Bronco likely has too little caster anyway. I went with new stock height springs in the front and 4* C-Bushings and it worked out nicely. I also got rough alignment numbers before I started. That's always a good idea, then you can really dial it in, but I bet you'll want 7*.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unless yours still has manual steering? If it's not power steering, you want to keep your caster numbers lower than optimal for steering feel.
More positive caster makes it harder to turn the wheel, so with manual "armstrong" steering, it becomes an issue. With power you don't even feel it.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Great info guys! And Dirtdonk thanks for correcting my UBR...if I lift the front will I have a WannaLUBR, NearLUBR, FrUBR...;D. Hopefully some day I'll be ready for calendar pics, trying to keep this Bronco as stock as possible so she'll probably never be "perfect".

It'll happen some day :)

OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

Thankfully she came with powersteering and it is smooth as silk so don't want to change much if possible.