• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lift Leaf Spring Questions

AU Bronco

Loc.
Madison, AL
I want to get rid of my 4" block. Looking for comments on any 5.5" leaf pack. Which flexes the best? Most seem to have 10-11 leafs except Cage having 8...do the 10-11 flex that well? Also is their anyone who has done a shackle flip instead? I was looking at that option too.

rellimgneb

Loc.
Reno, Nv
Shackle flip is pretty easy, but it's only going to get you 2 inches of lift. You could make longer shackles though. I did mine with the body off, but there should be plenty of room with the body on. just cut measure and weld. I think I moved mine forward a couple inches but don't remember how much exactly.

icebreaker88

Loc.
Warren,MI
I am running Deaver 11 leaf packs from JBG, They flex pretty nice for leafs.
I know this is a little off subject but when the rear springs droop should the shackel also swing down? When I flex my out the rear shackel hardly moves. I used all new bushings when I installed the kit about 3 years ago. I was thinkin about trying the revolver shackels.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Try searching in the archives. This has been covered quite a few times regarding the shackle flip vs. 5.5" lift springs.

crawln68

Bronco Guru
icebreaker88 said:
I am running Deaver 11 leaf packs from JBG, They flex pretty nice for leafs.
I know this is a little off subject but when the rear springs droop should the shackel also swing down? When I flex my out the rear shackel hardly moves. I used all new bushings when I installed the kit about 3 years ago. I was thinkin about trying the revolver shackels.

Upon full droop your shackle should be flat or horizontal. Try loosening up the shackle bolts and spring eye bolts. They might just be too tight and not allowing your shackle to move.

OP
OP
AU Bronco

AU Bronco

Loc.
Madison, AL
I think i have decided to run wildhorses 5.5 leafs and their 5.5 rockcrawler coils. Any opinion on these? Im also getting a 7 deg bushing kit and some rubber deg bushings for rad arms. Is their a perfered bushing kit out there? Thanx

icebreaker88

Loc.
Warren,MI
I have read about a few ppl having problems with the WH leafs bending easily. Never heard anything bad about the Deaver springs

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
AU Bronco
" I think i have decided to run wildhorses 5.5 leafs and their 5.5 rockcrawler coils. Any opinion on these? Im also getting a 7 deg bushing kit and some rubber deg bushings for rad arms. Is their a perfered bushing kit out there? "

With 5.5" lift and 7* bushings your font caster will be negative, it rtquire around 9-10*. For a while BC sold 10* bushing but it apears they are not available anymore, try calling them though. Typically with 5.5" lift you need to either drop your radius arm mounting brackets, use longer radius arms, or correct your caster by modifing the axle housing (most rotate there knuckles back.)
You could drive it w/ 7* bushings but the road manners would questionable, and there would be little to no return to center in the steering.

OP
OP
AU Bronco

AU Bronco

Loc.
Madison, AL
Well its already got a 4 " on there and it handles ok....it turns tighter to the right than left so i think the guy didnt get the steering centered when he put the lift on. But i dont think an 1.5" will make that big of a difference...i just need some more advice on which coils and leafs to run. Any body else got an opinion on a brand? Cage, Deaver, W.H.?

OP
OP
AU Bronco

AU Bronco

Loc.
Madison, AL
Also i found a set of BC Bronco Rockers for the rear leafs...anyone using these or know how well they perform?

Hogback

AU Bronco said:
Well its already got a 4 " on there and it handles ok....it turns tighter to the right than left so i think the guy didnt get the steering centered when he put the lift on. But i dont think an 1.5" will make that big of a difference...i just need some more advice on which coils and leafs to run. Any body else got an opinion on a brand? Cage, Deaver, W.H.?

what scsm76 is talking about is the ability for the steering to come back to straight after you turn. All normal cars do this automatically so you really dont think about it. But with negative caster you'll think about it because as you come out of a curve if you dont manually turn your wheel back to straight you'll be eating the ditch. Thankfully you're in a Bronco though and it wont matter! lol

I've got 3-1/2" Deaver springs and love them, they arent spongy but they're not too firm either. A lot of your ride will depend upon your shocks. Spongy springs with stiff shocks may end up being similar to a firm spring with soft shocks.

Hogback

I think 4* is perfect, but 3-5 is good. Bringing mine from -3 to -1.5 made a big difference, so i cant wait to get it to positive 4 degrees.
Try the low air pressure though, you'll be surprised how much easier it will ride.