• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaf spring lift..any way to figure out how much?

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
My stock springs on the bronco are bent and a set posted up for 35 bucks so I picked em up.

Well he didn't know what lift they where and I don't think there stock cus they have a good arch to them and they look pretty new..

So is there any way to figure out what size lift they are?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe. Then again, maybe not.
Are there any markings or part numbers that you can find? Either stenciled or on decals?
That would be perfect of course, but in lieu of those, how many leaves do they have, and what styles?
In other words, are there flat "overload" type leaves at the bottom? Are the main leaves single-wrap at both ends, or does one end have a "double-wrap" eye?

Paul

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Best way would be to install them and measure from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame. Anything more than 7 inches is lift over stock.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Ok, I installed them and it's 10.5" from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame.

They have more arch then my stock ones but my stock ones where pretty worn out. I'm in a hurry to get the back end done and on the ground so I can pull out my front axle for shipping.

So I need to know if I need lift blocks or not need 3" or 3.5" of lift) if you guys could help me out it would really help.

Also, the springs are hitting my shackles and there laid back then I think they used to be. I put them in the same way the old ones came out. I'm at the docs right now so cant post a pic.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
IMG_4838.jpg

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That shackle looks backwards to me.

If your going to use a bolt that long make sure to put anti sieze on the threads so you can remove it later, and is that a locking nut?

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
I thought so too, but that's the way it came off and I dont think they have ever been off. Anyone know how much lift those springs are?

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I thought so too, but that's the way it came off and I dont think they have ever been off. Anyone know how much lift those springs are?
Stock is 7" from top of axle to bottom of frame. You measured 10.5", therefore they are 3.5" lift springs.
Also, your shackles look really old and rusty. I'd replace them with new ones.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
My shakels were that way and others I've seen also as yours are installed now,and I think thats stock. But when I bought new springs back many years ago the guy at the spring shop suggested to reverse them so the springs could use that open space to pervent binding under flex. At the time it made sence,but I wonder why ford did it that way?

Thats a pretty sexy body lift you got there.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
That they are! If I was going to keep the leaf springs I would. But I have pretty much everything to link the back ( need hime joints and tube)
Thanks for your help!!!

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
My shakels were that way and others I've seen also as yours are installed now,and I think thats stock. But when I bought new springs back many years ago the guy at the spring shop suggested to reverse them so the springs could use that open space to pervent binding under flex. At the time it made sence,but I wonder why ford did it that way?

Thats a pretty sexy body lift you got there.

Ha! Thanks. A ex gf made those for me lol they do the job.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Holy jankey suspension batman! Body lift is frightening yes, but those shackles are indeed on backwards. I am willing to bet this is ultimately what led to the bending of your "stock" springs.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Shackles look correctly oriented to me.
Those leaves sure don't look very "new" to me though Mitch.
What about double-wrap eyes? Doesn't look like one there in the pic, but if so, the double-wrap would need to be in the front.
Looks like the tail end of a stock-ish spring, but again, hard to tell. Can you get a pic of the whole thing?
The 7" measurement for stock is for the front axle. Is the value the same for the rear? I'd heard otherwise, but don't know for sure.
Are the tires on the ground in the pic? And is the full weight of the truck on them? Or is the axle hanging free?
Did you compare the length of the main leaf and the height of the arch of the new and old packs?

Need more pics.

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just looked at my shackles which are bone stock from factory, the one in the pic is on backwards from my 73. I looked in the ford repair manual, also backwards page 14-31-02..

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Why are the body mounts frighting? Better then a plastic puck and just as strong if not stronger then alum. What it comes down to is the bolt and the body. Witch I have had the bronco on it's side once before in the 4years sense those mounts where made,and I'm using grade8 bolts for them and a cage&tubed front end tied into the frame... so I'm not to worried about the body falling off lol :)

Springs are new to me but in good sape and had the same arch so there not bent.
the pic was taken with the full weight of the bronco on them.
Old springs where bent cus it fell of the stands twice back in 09 (thanks harbor freight!) I took them off the same way the old ones came off, same with the shackles but I might flip those around.

I'll take pics tonight if I can, I need to get my front axle out and loaded up for it's trip to texas.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I must be missing something. I've never seen a diagram or image, or original shackle, that was not oriented with the closed face to the spring, and the open face to the rear.
Counter-intuitive to be sure, but that's the only way I've seen them.

I'll agree that flipping it around looks like the only fix at this point. From the aspect of the only pic we have without any surrounding info anyway.
But I've never seen one in a factory or aftermarket manual that didn't have the open end facing the rear, and the closed end facing the spring.

I don't think I have that page you're referencing (what year manual?), but I'll go look at some of my others to refresh my memory and make sure I'm not giving misleading info.

But my original and also unmolested factory shackles were facing the same way as in the pic, as are (or were) the original shackles on the shop's '76 with original springs.
Again, unless I'm looking at the image wrong.

I've seen Bronco springs and shackles act like his before though. Can't remember all the circumstances, but it almost looks as if his leaves are too long.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So that is with the weight on them, eh? Well then I take back what I said about them being too long then.

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I must be missing something. I've never seen a diagram or image, or original shackle, that was not oriented with the closed face to the spring, and the open face to the rear.
Counter-intuitive to be sure, but that's the only way I've seen them.

I'll agree that flipping it around looks like the only fix at this point. From the aspect of the only pic we have without any surrounding info anyway.
But I've never seen one in a factory or aftermarket manual that didn't have the open end facing the rear, and the closed end facing the spring.

I don't think I have that page you're referencing (what year manual?), but I'll go look at some of my others to refresh my memory and make sure I'm not giving misleading info.

But my original and also unmolested factory shackles were facing the same way as in the pic, as are (or were) the original shackles on the shop's '76 with original springs.
Again, unless I'm looking at the image wrong.

I've seen Bronco springs and shackles act like his before though. Can't remember all the circumstances, but it almost looks as if his leaves are too long.

Paul

1973 Ford repair manual volume 1 chassis, rear spring section: picture in the book shows the shackle backwards from the photo, which makes sense, you don't want the shackl hitting the spring as shown in the photo above. Actually, the exact bronco pic in the ford repair manual shows the rear shock mostly obscuring the rear shackle so it's hard to tell, but if you look at page 2 of rear springs section, you see the E-100/200 which uses the same spring and perches and shackles, the shackle is on with the "cup" part facing the spring, or backwards from the photo in the OP's truck. Looking further, other trucks in the repair manual (F-400-500, etc) even with different shackle designs all have the cup part facing the spring to provide the most clearance.

Now I have heard guys flip them but can't remeber why they do that.