• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lift Off Hinges - Stainless V Duffs?

marjama

Contributor
Hey gang,

Just ordered a new pair of doors for my project, and I'm planning on installing them with lift off hinges. I've been searching the archives and have seen mixed reviews, but most of them are quite old.

I'm leaning toward the stainless set that all of the Bronco houses sell - the one made by Scott Drake. I'm generally not a fan of SD components, but ? Early reviews indicated bushings falling out, but if they were bad...would everyone be selling them? (The answer might be yes!)

Duff's set looks quite a bit beefier, but...not stainless.

I like the look of the stainless hinges, but don't want junk. Any recent experiences? Has Scott Drake cleaned up their act?

Thanks!

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Check the SIZE of the Duff lift off hinges... the ones I bought are quite a bit larger than stock ones.

Just something to think about. I was quite surprised by the size. Used to them now.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
The Duff hinge design is superior.

When was the last time you saw a door hinge rust thru? Stainless steel is primarily specified when corrosion or cosmetics is important. I paint my door hinges body color, so the paint provides adequate corrosion protection. Besides, the door and door pillar are both painted steel.

If you are adding door hinges to an already painted Bronco, then the stainless set makes perfect sense.

As an added benefit, the Duff hinges accept the Duff tube doors.

OP
OP
M

marjama

Contributor
Check the SIZE of the Duff lift off hinges... the ones I bought are quite a bit larger than stock ones.

Just something to think about. I was quite surprised by the size. Used to them now.

Good point Brian - I saw that the pin was bigger, but haven't ever seen them side by side with other hinges.

When was the last time you saw a door hinge rust thru? Stainless steel is primarily specified when corrosion or cosmetics is important. I paint my door hinges body color, so the paint provides adequate corrosion protection. Besides, the door and door pillar are both painted steel.

If you are adding door hinges to an already painted Bronco, then the stainless set makes perfect sense.

As an added benefit, the Duff hinges accept the Duff tube doors.

I don't disagree with any of that. I live in the PNW where it rain mists for half the year. I don't like messing with rust or rusty parts (half of my current project is fixing rust damage!), and the stainless just looks 'prettier'. I want things to look good AND work well. Is that too much to ask? ;D

OP
OP
M

marjama

Contributor
Does anyone sell just the door half for those of us that would like to make our own tube doors?

I know WH sells just the outer set if you are talking about the stainless version (actually, I also saw it on Summit - I suspect any Drake dealer would be able to get it).

Bronco4x4

I have both. The Duffs do flex down when you open the door. My current build uses Scott Drake SS but I’m working with empty doors and can’t judge any flex at this time. Since my current build will be a driver, I put SS wherever I can. Painted hinges will chip and rust. Less touch ups etc..

Broncobowsher

Total hack

I have had both side by side. I have to agree with this statement.

Trying to set doors back on the pins, well the doors are heavy and akward to handle. Even resting them on a jack. I hated putting them on the little pins. I much prefer the larger target of the bigger Duff pins.

The small pin lift off hinges were first. Duff looked at them and figured there was a better way. And they did.

A long time ago I remember seeing a bronco with what I thought were the (just released at the time) stainless hinges. Asked about them. Just raw steel that was sanded and clear coated. Very convencing. Looked just like the brushed stainless.

Bronco4x4

The Duff pins are rounded off and install easy. No jack needed here. I haven’t had a problem installing the doors with the SS Drake pins. You have to have the hinges installed parallel so the doors slip in/out with less effort.

OP
OP
M

marjama

Contributor
I have both. The Duffs do flex down when you open the door. My current build uses Scott Drake SS but I’m working with empty doors and can’t judge any flex at this time. Since my current build will be a driver, I put SS wherever I can. Painted hinges will chip and rust. Less touch ups etc..

That's kind of where I'm at too - the stainless hinges will never chip or rust. When I had the truck painted years ago, one of the first things damaged was those hinges. I'm surprised you see flex with the Duff hinges. They seem quite a bit beefier!

I have had both side by side. I have to agree with this statement.

Trying to set doors back on the pins, well the doors are heavy and akward to handle. Even resting them on a jack. I hated putting them on the little pins. I much prefer the larger target of the bigger Duff pins.

The small pin lift off hinges were first. Duff looked at them and figured there was a better way. And they did.

Thanks for the feedback Broncobowsher! Other than the pin size, was fit and finish of both sets 'good'?

nvrstuk

Contributor
My Duff's dont flex at all. They are stout as heck!!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I would like a set of the duff hinges, they are built heavy and it costs a lot to get them to me..

Bronco4x4

I guess I got a bad set. The doors do drop a little when you open them. These are NOS doors.

Bronco4x4

Also, I have lifted/lowered (by hand) the doors when open and there is definitely flex in the set of Duff hinges I have.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Hinge flexing?? That to me means the 3/8" steel hinge is actually deforming... which I highly doubt. The hinge PIN may be bending some, the pin tolerance could be off enough that you can move the door some because of the poor tolerance in the female/male parts of the slide off hinge but the actual plate steel bending?? Don't think so...

Someone that's saying the hinge is "flexing" define that a bit clearer ok?

Last edited:

grinnergetter

Just did the passenger side the other day. Got lucky and got the door adjusted in a short amount of time.LOL. The Duff's are muuuuuch better than the Tom's units.

Only catch was the 1/2 rod trick on you tube was a no go due to the bushings being too tight.

Only took an extra hour to turn down a piece to fit snug but I think I removed around 10 thou(maybe a bit more) for a fit I could wiggle down through both hinges.

nvrstuk

Contributor
ginnergetter-... when they get lined up they are the slickest dang thing to have for swapping doors and tube doors...

OP
OP
M

marjama

Contributor
Thanks for the feedback guys - sounds like both would probably do the trick! I'd love to see some photos of the hinges side by side, but that's probably too much to ask unless Duff's jumps in with images. I'll see what is on sale on Monday!