• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lifting a 66 Roadster, What Tires work Best ?

Murph66

Just Got a 66 U13 Stock Roadster. I'm adding a 2.5 inch lift. What Tires should I run with the stock motor and 3 speed trans. I don't want to cut anything.

Have 15x8 Rims with no power steering.

Thanks

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I would guess it is a 6 cylinder. Be careful as to how big you go. That little motor already has its work cut out for it. Tall and skinny is what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I would recommend going back to stock wheel size width as well, along with BB's recommendation of tall and skinny.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome aboard Murph66, Great to have you with us. Search function is a great tool as well on here, if you do a search by forum. Chat, Tech, Etc.

Congrats on that score as well. Got Pics?

Feel free to vote for CB as top 4x4 site as well, daily, Link at the bottom of the page.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You've got the 8" wide wheels, but have they ever been on the Bronco yet? Reason I ask is that an 8" wide wheel is the normal maximum, but only fits with the proper backspacing. Where 4" backspacing is sort of a minimum. But even with 4" they can rub occasionally. At that point it's so close it can depend on the tire brand and model as well. Some are just a little wider profile than others.

Paul

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, my 66 runs 31-10.5 BFGs and were close with the 2 1/2 " lift when fully loaded, but it didn't tub. My rims are the original 15 x 5.5 (I don't know the backspace). I would check out 30 x 9.5 tires.
If you are using the 15 x 8" rims, what size tires are on now?
Good luck

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stock steel wheel with 30x9.50

Wheel Vintiques 15x7 (4" BS) with 31x10.50s - The Original 66 Hub Caps work with this set-up as well.