• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Line-X "Plus" with Kevlar on hood? RE: Fading

bosshoff

Contributor
I want to have my Bronco hood coated with Line-X. I think it will look good, stregthen up the fiberglass hood bubble instalation making it more water tight, and cut glare etc. My hood has some cracks, and I installed 1/2" square tubing along the sides of it to stiffen it a bit. My concern is this; I don't want the Line-X on the hood to get chaulky or oxidized looking. (I DO store the Bronco indoors, so it won't get killed by UV rays.) I also am not looking for a "gloss" finish, I just want the finish to look the same down the road a couple years as it does new. A Line-X rep I called suggested I use their overcoating called Line-X Xtra. It is immediately sprayed over the top of the standard Line-X and is reinforced/formulated with Kevlar. Do I really need to do this to keep the Line-X from fading and getting "chaulky", or is he just trying to upsell me? Did your Line-X spray in liner get chaulky over time? Did it fade from UV damage? Thanks.

Last edited:

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Most of the Line-x bed liners have faded over the years. I am going to Line-X some of the out side of mine. I talked to the Line-X guy about the coating and he said it was not worth the money. He recommended to use the Line-
x Extra. It is the base coat and not an add on. He said it would not fade. That's 2 Line-X opinions, so who knows?

OP
OP
bosshoff

bosshoff

Contributor
Deltarat are you saying most of the Line-X liners you have had have faded over the years?

broncomaster

Loc.
Edgewood,Wa
some colors fade or chalk more often than others black, red or any dark colors they do have uv protection that you can add but on the hood I would expect some fade.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
My buddy Scott has it in the back of his Ram and it is grey now. I have heard they have since made them uv protected but not sure on it.

texashcane

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Argyle, TX
There are other bedliner brands that now have UV resistance that is equal to that of automotive paint. Just armor all them once or twice a year and they will stay glossy.

kntr

Bronco Guru
As long as you keep a good protectant on it... it will look good for a long time.

OP
OP
bosshoff

bosshoff

Contributor
Kanter

Kanter, are you saying I need to "protect" it with some sort of UV resistant coating like car wax or something??:?
PDXBronco, this grey liner of your friends, are you saying it started out as black?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Kanter, are you saying I need to "protect" it with some sort of UV resistant coating like car wax or something??:?
PDXBronco, this grey liner of your friends, are you saying it started out as black?

It did. Call and ask them about the uv protectant, it is probably an option he didnt get. I dont know why a company would sell an external product without it.