• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Location of coolant gauge sender with sniper efi for 400 (m)??

79INA69

Was wanting to know what you guys thought was the best location for factory or aftermarket analog engine temperature gauge sender, when the Holley Sniper ECT sensor is occupying the factory location in the block. I have a 400 motor 385 series. This may be similar to what someone has done to their Cleveland 335 series Sniper install. My factory plugged locations available are 2 in the thermostat housing (above the t stat), one in the water pump (colder side). Intake is dry on 400. And yes I know Holley has forums too. Any input would be helpful. Would prefer not to drill any new holes if possible, and I'm not sure if I have block drains yet.

Have same issue on my Cleveland. to start with I put snipers sender in the water pump but that messed it up due to always running roughly 20 degrees cooler so swapped locations now my gauge is always cooler but end up just looking at sniper gauges anyway. thought about drilling the heads but probably won't.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
How about the thermostat housing if you are not using the port/s there. I've seen a few different ones. Haven't done it so I'm not sure if that would be an option or not.

Jim

OP
OP

79INA69

The thermostat is a nice location and once the t stat is open will read accurate. This is the easiest place to put the sender first. Obviously the only problem would be if the t stat sticks closed I wouldn't see it on my analog gauge. I have seen the use of street T's to put both in the same port, but I feel the ECT should be in the block fully by itself.

OP
OP

79INA69

Thinking out loud here, I figured there must be a coolant temp sensor that has 3 or 4 wire set up. Came across a common 2-3 wire change for LS swaps on older cars to run a gauge off the third wire. Have to see if one is compatible. This would be the solution here, Thoughts?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Thinking out loud here, I figured there must be a coolant temp sensor that has 3 or 4 wire set up. Came across a common 2-3 wire change for LS swaps on older cars to run a gauge off the third wire. Have to see if one is compatible. This would be the solution here, Thoughts?

Never seen a 3-wire temps sensor. The 2-wire temp sensor is pretty much the norm these days. It is to provide a dedicated ground return so the computer can get an accurate signal without going through 8 different pieces of metal of alternating materials all bolted together.

The sending units are specific to the gauge or computer. And since the gauge or computer sends power (a pull up signal) to the sending unit, putting multiple items (gauge and computer) on a single sending unit will alter the balance in the signal and neither will read correctly (generally both will read very cold)

Or what I simply do, have the Sniper display show coolant temp.