• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lock right - extreme ratcheting problem

u0061914

Loc.
Prior Lake, MN
I have a Lock Right installed in my dana 44 in my 71 Bronco. It has worked flawless for the past year, however now the driver side ratchets horribly. Not really when i turn, but more so when I'm going straight and accelerate hard. I pulled it apart and I see nothing worn excessively, no shavings, chunks or anything broken. The pins and springs look fine. If I unlock the drivers hub, no ratcheting. If I lock the drivers, but unlock the passenger hub, it ratchets terribly. ( I verified the hubs are good) This has really seen only minor use in the past year. Nothing extreme by any means. Has anyone ever see anything like this?

I'm trying to get this figured out this week so I can have it back together and running by next weekend.

OP
OP
u0061914

u0061914

Loc.
Prior Lake, MN
Would it be normal that a thrust washer would wear? Or something else wear in that amount of time? It was shimmed properly when I installed a year ago. That you are saying makes sense though.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine did that too.... I threw it away and went with a full detroit and have never looked back.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
More than likely it cant handle the tire size you have. Seen quite a few lunch box types do that with large tires.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
More than likely it cant handle the tire size you have. Seen quite a few lunch box types do that with large tires.

Good Point, but I was only on 33's when mine did it.

75bronco08

Loc.
sublimity,oregon
generaly when guys installs them, you use the old shims witch do have wear on them from the old side gears.if you happen to have a shim pack or shim stock and make one it doesnt take much.as far as tire size i v ran 42s with them never had a problem.this was full size bronco w9" busted pin and 44 frt busted lots axles.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Good Point, but I was only on 33's when mine did it.

a few of the lunch box lockers have a limit so to speak of 33in tires. I'm sure the shims would help but they shouldnt be worn that much to cause the unlocking.

OP
OP
u0061914

u0061914

Loc.
Prior Lake, MN
Good points guys. I fully understand and agree that I am probably somewhat oversized in the tire arena for this locker, however the odd part is that is has worked flawlessly for the past year. Almost all of the guys that I wheel with run the same locker and have never had issues. Some with smaller tires, some with bigger ones. There is nothing worn or broken on the locker ( that I can see anyway), so it could probably be the washers. Kind of a pain taking everything apart and putting it back together, but a cheap enough thing to try.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p Is it the diff. slipping or a bad hub. That sounds like a hub not locking good luck.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

OP
OP
u0061914

u0061914

Loc.
Prior Lake, MN
Funny you should say that. Originally that is exactly whaty I thought the issue was. So on the trail, I completely swapped out the hub. Still did it.

OP
OP
u0061914

u0061914

Loc.
Prior Lake, MN
Nope, the other side is fine. If I unlock the drivers side, the ratcheting quits. If I unlock just the passenger side, it still ratchets horribly.

C Saporito

I had installed a Lockright on my F250 diesel with 35" tires. It wore the tires real fast and after 6 months started scaring the crap out of pedestrians when going around corners. Turned out the wheel bearings were worn and let the axels ride in an 1/8 inch or so, which made it hard to disengage. So they would bang when they popped loose enough to slip and catch. There was no damage yet to the Lockright but I didn't like the tire wear, the back wore out faster then the front, so I changed it.

You probably just need to adjust the shims somehow.