• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

"Locking Hubs" Educate me please

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Now that we're piling on confusion.
No one has mentioned that when turning the hub from lock to unlock or back (left to right/right to left) you're actually pushing the hub splines in/out, out/in.

I did on two different posts - one at 6:14 PM EST and one at 8:30 PM EST

DJs74

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
It does no harm to have the hubs locked while in two wheel drive except for a small increase in wear and an increase in drag.

It is a good idea to do occasionally as it turns the gears and shafts getting them covered with oil; preventing rust and keeping the seals from drying out and developing leaks.

Also a smart idea if you are not sure if you will need four wheel drive or not as if you do then all you need is to shift the transfer case, which you can do from the driver seat.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
either you're trolling us or you are really confused.

the front hubs only control the wheel/tire itself:

in free your tires do nothing but spin freely which gives you better gas mileage and keeps the wear down on the front axles internal components.

in lock the tires will now spin the internal axle shafts, the differential and the front drive shaft. which will reduce your MPG, power, and increase wear.

the transfer case which is attached to the shifter inside the truck does two separate things.

It has a high and low range:

high range is what you use for driving around town or anything above 20~ MPH.

Low is what you use for low speed offroad driving where you need all the torque you can get.

The other thing it does is control whether the power goes to the rear axle or both axles.

your shifter should have three settings:
2hi which is rear wheel drive and high gear.
4hi which is four wheel drive and high gear.
4lo which is four wheel drive and low gear.

as you can see there is no two wheel drive low setting. however you can mimic two wheel drive low by putting the shifter in four wheel drive low and leaving the front hubs in free. in this scenario the transfer case is spinning the front axles, but since the hubs are in free the tires do nothing yet you are still in low gear.

BroncoMabry

You guys are holding out. You covered 4 Hi & 4 Lo. 2 Hi & 2 Lo, but you left out the 3rd possibility - locking only 1 hub - which gives you the infamous 3 Hi & 3 Lo.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
either you're trolling us or you are really confused.

the front hubs only control the wheel/tire itself:

in free your tires do nothing but spin freely which gives you better gas mileage and keeps the wear down on the front axles internal components.

in lock the tires will now spin the internal axle shafts, the differential and the front drive shaft. which will reduce your MPG, power, and increase wear.

the transfer case which is attached to the shifter inside the truck does two separate things.

It has a high and low range:

high range is what you use for driving around town or anything above 20~ MPH.

Low is what you use for low speed offroad driving where you need all the torque you can get.

The other thing it does is control whether the power goes to the rear axle or both axles.

your shifter should have three settings:
2hi which is rear wheel drive and high gear.
4hi which is four wheel drive and high gear.
4lo which is four wheel drive and low gear.

as you can see there is no two wheel drive low setting. however you can mimic two wheel drive low by putting the shifter in four wheel drive low and leaving the front hubs in free. in this scenario the transfer case is spinning the front axles, but since the hubs are in free the tires do nothing yet you are still in low gear.

I dispute this,(unless they did away with it in later years) all the t-shift d-20's I have worked on had a seperate 2lo. Now all the knobs only indicated a 4lo but there were actually 5 positions. I accidently flat towed mine about 20 miles with it in 2lo because I only went off the knob, put it in 4lo then pulled back 1 notch. Man, was that case hot%)

You guys are holding out. You covered 4 Hi & 4 Lo. 2 Hi & 2 Lo, but you left out the 3rd possibility - locking only 1 hub - which gives you the infamous 3 Hi & 3 Lo.

I've done that too:-[ Sure is hard to keep it going straight!

Jim W.

66BlueGoose

Contributor
I dispute this,(unless they did away with it in later years) all the t-shift d-20's I have worked on had a seperate 2lo. Now all the knobs only indicated a 4lo but there were actually 5 positions. I accidently flat towed mine about 20 miles with it in 2lo because I only went off the knob, put it in 4lo then pulled back 1 notch. Man, was that case hot%)

Jim W.

Never found out the hard way(glad of that), also just seemed so hard to go one click from 4LO to N. Well on a T case, it's two clicks,,,,,I found that out on this forum a few months ago....glad you all are here...:)

My insurance check... put T case in neutral and trans in first, let clutch out to verify(you should not move), unlock the front hubs, pull one notch back on T case for 2Hi and trans in first, drive to verify the front drive shaft does not turn (navigators job)....if it does, you in in 4H or hubs are not unlocked

OP
OP
C

carne

Alright my EB bruhs - Surprised to see an additional 2 pages on this thread since I signed offf last night haha. Thanks for all the advice - and BRONCONUT73 - we are cool - in a junkyard I found my money pit oops I mean Bronco a year and a half ago - new floor-pans, hood, fender, 2 quarter panels, a door skin, tilt steering column, power steering convo, all new exhaust, dash board, tires, rims, flares (Shouldnt have cut those quarter panels) - and the interior? well that was completly gutted - It was at paint and body for a year (Dont ever get a pothead to do your resto) in and out of the shop quite frequently now - in way too deep to think about backing out and recooping, losses and a labor of love anyway but at the same time wondering why I didnt get more of a turn-key Bronco. But hey I guess this is the one I was supposed to have. The 2W-4W thing? (OH NO, here he goes again lol) I never had a clue or stopped to think that shift lever affected the back axel in any way cuz on my other Broncos when I shifted it to 4W, I always locked the hubs - I never claimed to be a mechanical guru and I appreciate the way people try to "Make the light come on" for me on this site haha

In this case "EB" means - Every Buck

Last edited:

broncobilly72

Are the hubs stock? i have a set of old Warn hubs that lock in forward when in four wheel drive..... you can also lock them manually for foward and reverse. They have a set of clutches that activate in forward drive only.

Andycapp

Loc.
Puyallup. WA
Now those sound pretty cool if they're stout enough. Do they still make them? If not I guess that answers my first question lol

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN

I've done that too:-[ Sure is hard to keep it going straight!

Jim W.

my first EB used to have that i figured it was just because it was worn:

shift jiggle jiggle "is it all the way in gear yet?" jiggle jiggle click "sawweet now put your foot over the hole in the floor or you're going to get sprayed with mud!"........... :cool:

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Visual / Color Power chart

I felt creative... hope there are no mistakes.

DJs74

Attachments

• 2 HI - 4 HI - 4 LO.pdf
    61.2 KB · Views: 56

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I felt creative... hope there are no mistakes.

DJs74
Nice DJs74, it's time to put this thread to rest;D.I really don't know what the real question was, hubs on wrong, shifter with 2 low:p,but entertaining;D.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Nice DJs74, it's time to put this thread to rest;D.I really don't know what the real question was, hubs on wrong, shifter with 2 low:p,but entertaining;D.

I agree... but I had the idea to do something visual and color coded when the thread was hot and never got a chance. Hopefully the original poster is clear and good to go.

DJs74

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
DJs74, I actually added it to my bronco diagrams, on my computer;D.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
AxlesUp ,I don't know why you can't see these, I click on them and they show up. Even on your quote. The one is a YouTube video and the other is from toms bronco site. maybe your filter on your computer is restricting you from opening them. I put them in a new thread, hope they will work.

Last edited: