• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lokar 4r70w shifter

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Looking for input on using the 4r70w shifter floor mounted by Lokar.

Mounting options?
Issues?
What's the optimum length/height of the shifter as they come in different sizes?

Etc.

If you can throw up pics of yours that would great too.

I was looking at going back to a auto tilt column but those seem to be all back ordered from what I am seeing? Also I have a good non auto tilt column and may just stick with that one and spend the money on the shifter. Bought the winters shifter but I just don't like it for my build.

TIA

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Looking for input on using the 4r70w shifter floor mounted by Lokar.

Mounting options?
Issues?
What's the optimum length/height of the shifter as they come in different sizes?

Etc.

If you can throw up pics of yours that would great too.

I was looking at going back to a auto tilt column but those seem to be all back ordered from what I am seeing? Also I have a good non auto tilt column and may just stick with that one and spend the money on the shifter. Bought the winters shifter but I just don't like it for my build.

TIA
I hope you don't mind me following this thread. I have exactly the same questions. Just haven't asked yet. Sure hope we get some answers.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I hope you don't mind me following this thread. I have exactly the same questions. Just haven't asked yet. Sure hope we get some answers.
My plan is to run it back through my tuffy console. Also planning on extending the tuffy console forward toward the dash and it make get bolted inside the extension or the floor? Need to buy one first and see what works.
Concerned about the cable needing to come out the back but I think its doable?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I looked at the Lokar and stayed with my Winters. Only replying here to mention that I also extended my Tuffy and mounted the WInters in it.

Depending how far you want to reach for your shifter determines how far the cable goes into the original Tuffy before heading down thru the floor.

I'll shoot you a pic as my cable went down thru the floor appr 6" from the back of the original Tuffy console.

Shift handle height is totally dependant on console mounting height.

The pic is still under constructioin but ergonomically it works fantastic for me. NO reaching, coffee cups are close.I tried vertical, 45 degree angle, etc. It's low (almost too low for the cup holders), and designed to still allow my sub stay up front so less rain/snow get on it (half cab-windscreen only and usually trail doors year round). Taller the shifter rod handle the longer your throw which I learned to hate with the Duff 3 speed floor shifter back in the '70's and my ZF as both of these tall shifters got chopped right away. lol

The Lokar is really nice but isn't positive or quick enough for hard core wheelin imo. Perfect for street and mild trail tho. Nice looking. For hard core you have to be able to throw it in reverse w'o having to push buttons or worry about going clear to Park to prevent a end over.

I see all these shift handles recessed into a console several inches with the boot going down to attach to the handle-same with tcase shifters. The very FIRST thing I think of is dirt, leaves, crud and you name it getting down in there- at least for me. If the vehicle is a mall crawler and the worst that could happen would be that once every six year splash of coffee or a drip of ice cream then whatever. For me, it would be full and overflowing with stuff that's blown in from wheeling or me spilling stuff in it every couple months and then dealing with the hassle of trying to reach in there and clean it. Maybe it's just my practical over everything else life style. lol

Attachments

• 20230329_141332.jpg
    20230329_141332.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I will follow along as well, someone just asked me to swap in a 4r70w for his 5-spd...
He says he wants a column shift, but the parts availability/quality these post Covid days has been challenging, as we all know.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
I looked at the Lokar and stayed with my Winters. Only replying here to mention that I also extended my Tuffy and mounted the WInters in it.

Depending how far you want to reach for your shifter determines how far the cable goes into the original Tuffy before heading down thru the floor.

I'll shoot you a pic as my cable went down thru the floor appr 6" from the back of the original Tuffy console.

Shift handle height is totally dependant on console mounting height.

The pic is still under constructioin but ergonomically it works fantastic for me. NO reaching, coffee cups are close.I tried vertical, 45 degree angle, etc. It's low (almost too low for the cup holders), and designed to still allow my sub stay up front so less rain/snow get on it (half cab-windscreen only and usually trail doors year round). Taller the shifter rod handle the longer your throw which I learned to hate with the Duff 3 speed floor shifter back in the '70's and my ZF as both of these tall shifters got chopped right away. lol

The Lokar is really nice but isn't positive or quick enough for hard core wheelin imo. Perfect for street and mild trail tho. Nice looking. For hard core you have to be able to throw it in reverse w'o having to push buttons or worry about going clear to Park to prevent a end over.

I see all these shift handles recessed into a console several inches with the boot going down to attach to the handle-same with tcase shifters. The very FIRST thing I think of is dirt, leaves, crud and you name it getting down in there- at least for me. If the vehicle is a mall crawler and the worst that could happen would be that once every six year splash of coffee or a drip of ice cream then whatever. For me, it would be full and overflowing with stuff that's blown in from wheeling or me spilling stuff in it every couple months and then dealing with the hassle of trying to reach in there and clean it. Maybe it's just my practical over everything else life style. lol
How tight of radius can the shift cable handle and still work smoothly?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Depends on the brand but mine goes straight out under the floor, radius to the PS frame rail, along it up to the top of the bellhousing and comes in to my shifter from the DS top of the bellhousing since that's one of the last things I want a 4"thick pc of ice, a rock or large diameter stick to catch & tear off.

So roughly 14" from console to middle of frame rail.

My tcase cables are much tighter radius but they are much higher quality.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Jon @ JB Custom fab included an info sheet with the Atlas cable shifters I bought from him. It specified a minimum bend radius of 6". I didn't see anything included with my Winters shifter that specified a minimum bend radius but considering that the construction of the cable (including diameter) appeared identical to the JB-supplied cables, I'm guessing that it's the same.

My Winters shifter is going into an extension that I'll add to my beloved (seriously) Tuffy center console. Here's what I've gotten done so far:
IMG_1543.jpeg
Lol...

nvrstuk

Contributor
I don't think we helped ya much! :)

I want to put one in Shorty but I think they doubled in price in 4 yrs. :( I'll probably go with a stock F150 shifter instead. That's if I stick with a 6r. I am leaning heavily towards 5.3 with a 6l80.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Well dammit, you guys got me rethinking the winters shifter and well it's sitting on the shelf...

Lars, what length did you buy for you atlas for the cables?

nvrstuk

Contributor
I highly recommend the Winters for a DD, IF you trim the gates so you don't have 6-7 clicks to be in "Drive" mode.

Gets old rowing the shifter 14 times every time you start & stop at the parts store or whatever.

Trim "R" out, then always have the shifter to the right while in Drive/3rd.

I am not a proponent of a manual valve body as it has a couple drawbacks for my use-besides, you can have full manual control with the USShift anyway.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Well dammit, you guys got me rethinking the winters shifter and well it's sitting on the shelf...

Lars, what length did you buy for you atlas for the cables?
Jon recommended 48" cables, so I went with that. Worked out well. The cables are really stiff and would prefer to be straight. Too bad for them, I made them go in a U. I have the shifter flange mounted flush to the top of the transmission tunnel at the right rear corner, well out of the way of planned Tuffy extension.

I do like the solid feel and quality construction of the Winters shifter. And as Brian pointed out, if you don't like the gates, remove them. If you change your mind later, easy to replace. It will be a few weeks at least before I get the Tuffy box project done; I will update once I do. Planning on something somewhat similar to what Brian did, though with the horizontal surface that the shifter mounts to a few inches higher. And with similar cupholders :)

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Maybe s
Jon recommended 48" cables, so I went with that. Worked out well. The cables are really stiff and would prefer to be straight. Too bad for them, I made them go in a U. I have the shifter flange mounted flush to the top of the transmission tunnel at the right rear corner, well out of the way of planned Tuffy extension.

I do like the solid feel and quality construction of the Winters shifter. And as Brian pointed out, if you don't like the gates, remove them. If you change your mind later, easy to replace. It will be a few weeks at least before I get the Tuffy box project done; I will update once I do. Planning on something somewhat similar to what Brian did, though with the horizontal surface that the shifter mounts to a few inches higher. And with similar cupholders :)
Thanks Lars! I need to get the cables ordered.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks for the tips on the gates, thats the part that I do not like on the shifter. Well I guess that saved me 600$ for a new shifter then. ;)
I did make an easy to flip up "Gate" on the front of the shifter (ain't the prettiest as it's my prototype but it works so good it's staying) that prevents me from accidentally jamming the shifter into Park when wheeling hard. I can flip it up and that way 2 things:

1- I can't knock it into Park accidentally

2- If I am on a knarly vertical climb I know all I have to do to prevent an endo is without looking- slap the lever forward and it will be in Reverse to hopefully pull out. Only used it once, hopefully never again.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I did make an easy to flip up "Gate" on the front of the shifter (ain't the prettiest as it's my prototype but it works so good it's staying) that prevents me from accidentally jamming the shifter into Park when wheeling hard. I can flip it up and that way 2 things:

1- I can't knock it into Park accidentally

2- If I am on a knarly vertical climb I know all I have to do to prevent an endo is without looking- slap the lever forward and it will be in Reverse to hopefully pull out. Only used it once, hopefully never again.
Brian we will be standing aside on the trail spotting you and helping you to avoid an endo. No matter what shifter gate pattern you are running. Lol!😂

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks buddy... :)

2x I've teetered... 2x too many! :(

nvrstuk

Contributor
Cut the red out. 2 movements and you're in "GO". :)

One move to the right and it can't go into Rev. accidently.

I have a hinged plate that flips over and blocks out Park.

Stock for AOD, Ford OD trans pic below

"1" is blocked out with a small pc of aluminum since I drop it into "2" for manual mode & shift with a Carling rocker.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240527_133307_PDF Reader.jpg
    Screenshot_20240527_133307_PDF Reader.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 11