• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for a welder

OP
OP
Tom Dummer

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
acetylene gas tanks not included

Thought maybe this was the new combo unit that cuts and welds with the same torch%)

Jim W.

Just don't push the wrong button.

We use all Millers here at work as well, I'm just not one who welds very often. As a matter of fact, Miller just came in this week to video our guys for their advertising.:cool:

I'm leaning towards a 185 or 190. Its just that I SHOULD stay small for at home since I can bring any of the big stuff to work to weld up, but it's only money and its for the Bronco, right???

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Not much talk on here about Lincoln,but I have a Lincoln SP 170,220v and am very happy with it. First welder,no history. Also picked up a Lincoln TIG 175 square wave,haven't spent any time on it.It was part of a killer garage sale,couldn't pass it up. Deal also had a plummers gas set with tanks,argon bottle and a whole toolbox of torch bodies and tips.....And leathers..

Archangel

im looking into getting myself a Miller 252, not a "small welder" but will do everything i need. the Hobart Ironman welder did catch my eye tho. I may have to look deeper into it.

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Archangel,

im looking into getting myself a Miller 252, not a "small welder" but will do everything i need. the Hobart Ironman welder did catch my eye tho. I may have to look deeper into it.

I bought a Hobart Ironman 230 last spring. I bought it used, although the welder had never even been assembled. It was really brand new, just out of the shipping package. (It was one of my few really great stories about buying something from the Internet... not because of price; but, because I got to know the seller.)

I am a novice welder. I welded some stick in high school. (Badly, I might add.) And decided to take MIG lessons earlier this year. I am still rough... very rough.

When looking for a welder, I knew I could probably get by with something like the Hobart 187. That's what we used in the class. It was a great welder. The only thing I didn't like was the duty cycle performance. Once or twice each class the welder would shut down because I was exceeding the duty cycle.

I tend to over-buy tools. I don't know that I'll ever need the 60% duty cycle; but, I knew that it would be capable, even if I was welding a bunch of scrap.

The downside, to me at least, is the larger size of the MIG gun when compared to the 187.

I have only used it for a couple of really small projects... but, I have no regrets about going bigger than I originally planned.

Good Luck

Jeff

OP
OP
Tom Dummer

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
:mad: Just when I get the cash for a welder, the insurance calls and says the roof damage on my camper is not going to be covered. Maybe homeowners insurance will....