• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for some shock answers!!!!

capt. bronco

Getting ready to install new lift on bronco in the next couple of weeks and need minimum downtime. I am installing cage 3.5" coils in front and wild horses 2.5" leafs in back to level truck hopefully. I run a fiberglass half cab and don't keep anything in back of bronco. I know the best way to do this is get measurements but how many options does bilstien have? I am gonna install f250 front top mounts at the same time. I have talked to lee and he was not to sure about the f250 mounts. So I am posing the question here. What is the shock everyone is running in the front with 3.5" of lift? And what rear shock with 2.5" of lift. The back will be stock mounts. This is my daily driver and I am hoping to have this done in a weekend. Thanks, Randy

nrramse

I have a 3" lift and was able to use my front OEM shocks by installing some extenders onto the studs. It was a cheap way to go but it works. I would hesitate to jump the vehicle because I think the shocks might bottom out but I can say that I've been in some twisty situations and, after 10 years, haven't had a problem.

The rear shocks are from Cage. I like them, but they're longer than OEM and, according to my tape measure, will bottom out. My fix was to drop the bump stops.

Newell

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Just weld in your 250 mounts and give Lee a measurement and he will fix you up form there or just measure to about a inch or so from the top of the fender well and the weld in your mount to that point. Get 7100s..I tried the cheap route and tried 5150s and had to order 7100s to make it ride right. I have 3 1/2" lift and I may have the boxes mine came in .I will look and see.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Careful about going with lower shorter leafs in the rear. Leaf springs tend to settle upon install, so if you start out level you'll end up with your rear sitting a little lower. I am actually going to drop my front an inch to hopefully compensate for my sagged rear leafs.

fordtrucksrule

on my bronco i have 3.5" lift with a 1" body i have cage long arms and are running bulsteins up front that are the 14inch travel short bodies and i love em ps i use all the shock up! but i cant go much longer though

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
if you want bilsteins, a 3.5" lift calls for a 12" short body 7100 series. think you have to get the remote reservoir with the short body. call and see if he has any rebuilts.

rtj731

if you want bilsteins, a 3.5" lift calls for a 12" short body 7100 series. think you have to get the remote reservoir with the short body. call and see if he has any rebuilts.

I'm looking to order this week, can you please tell me who Lee is?
TIA
J

1970mule

Bronco Guru
as far as shocks i am just trying to finish up putting my bilsstiens on. i have the WH stock 10pack leafs in the back and i have the 2.5" springs in the front with the remote res 7100 8" travel in the front. i pretty sure i will bottom out so i will need to put some limiting straps on there. i know the back will prob be lower but i want that i am going for the prerunner thing.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
oh, well i dont know how you will mount up the backs but if you are using the stock place then you will not be able to use the top heim on the 7100, you will need to buy some bushings.

Prothane makes a set of bushings that fit the 7100's
part number 19-920-BL

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
What is wrong with the nitrogen shocks Cage sells? i have them on my rig and love them, they work great!