• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lost key, remedy? the best way to rekey?

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
I obviously need to remove the center part, but dont have the key to put in there and insert the paper clip and turn.

Should I start drilling and tear everything to hell and plan on replacing ignition switch, bezel by the time I am done tearing it all to hell?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I obviously need to remove the center part, but dont have the key to put in there and insert the paper clip and turn.

Should I start drilling and tear everything to hell and plan on replacing ignition switch, bezel by the time I am done tearing it all to hell?

Good question.
I'll be watching this. I have a '62 Ranchero with the same issue.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Door keys the same? If so take the door apart and find a real locksmith. They can take the key code off the door lock and cut a new key off the key code. Now it takes a good locksmith and not one that wants to do it quick and easy. I've done this in the past. Took about an hour and having to go through the ancient key code books.

Attac

Contributor
These ignitions are not high security key cuts. Along with the fact that the tumblers start to wear with age they are really easy to use a pick set to turn it. Pretty much just the one that is wavy. Insert pressure bar, put pick in and shove it in and out really fast. Once it starts to turn insert paper clip rotate and remove.
I do this on the old dashes that I get. Longest one took me 5 mins. Fastest one about 20 seconds
Chuck

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
These ignitions are not high security key cuts. Along with the fact that the tumblers start to wear with age they are really easy to use a pick set to turn it. Pretty much just the one that is wavy. Insert pressure bar, put pick in and shove it in and out really fast. Once it starts to turn insert paper clip rotate and remove.
I do this on the old dashes that I get. Longest one took me 5 mins.
Chuck

note to self: upgrade bronco security system :eek::eek::eek:;)

Attac

Contributor
note to self: upgrade bronco security system :eek::eek::eek:;)

Exactly. Did you look at the ignition and door set that you sent me that you powder coated black. The key has one cut about one step down in it. Besides that it looks like a key blank. :eek:

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
So I guess I need to order a pick set unless someone else has a suggestion I dont have a door key.

Attac

Contributor
Just a FYI if you do get a pick set.
In some states if you have these in your vehicle with you you could get in trouble for having burglary tools. Leave them in your toolbox. If you happen to know any officers then you can ask if they have a set and will come do it for you. My buddy who is a cop came and did my first one for me and ended up giving me an old 6 pick set he had. He liked getting the practice.
eBay and Amazon has cheap sets for sale.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Exactly. Did you look at the ignition and door set that you sent me that you powder coated black. The key has one cut about one step down in it. Besides that it looks like a key blank. :eek:

lol, im more concerned with the finish than the keys! ha ha

Attac

Contributor

Yea. Remember the tumblers are at the top of the slot not the bottom. Just buy the cheaper set. You will only use 1 or 2 of the picks.
If you play around with the set after you get it you will look at locks in a whole new light. They are all pretty easy to get into.
My dad always said that a lock keeps an honest man out.
Chuck

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I had a locksmith fix me up one time for $20. I remember it was a GM blank that he cut to work. Once he filed it good enough to turn, I popped it out and replaced it.