• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lost Power Steering - Trouble Shooting

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
My set up:
4x4x2 box ported for ram assist
PSC ram
Hydro boost
GM Saginaw pump dual returns

Power steering worked previously. Truck sat for 5 months. Decided to reroute the ram assist lines. I unhooked the ram assist lines, rerouted and reconnected them. Now I have no power steering. when I press the brake feels funky and the steering pump whines like it’s being worked hard. I disconnected the drag link from the pitman arm to see if the ram would still push left/right on its own and it doesn’t move at all when I turn the steering wheel.

I marked the ram assist lines to make sure I didn’t hook them up backwards.

I’ll get back out in the garage next weekend to trouble shoot but thot I might run it by the group here in the meantime.

Could air in the lines cause me to loose all power steering and keep the ram from moving at all?

PaveBronco

Prob full of Air, did you follow any bleeding steps?
But something could be stuck after sitting for awhile.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yeah unfortunately it sounds like there is still air in the system.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Thanks

Thank you guys. I’ll try to bleed more this weekend. Anybody else have thoughts/ past experience?

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you disconnect the ram hoses at the box and put caps on? My setup came with caps so if you blow a hose you can disconnect and get going again temporarily (hopefully). If so I would do that and get the front end up on jack stands. Work the air out first without the ram assist since you have hydroboost. Once its functioning right then reconnect the ram hoses with the front wheels still off the ground and work the air from that point. I had a similar issue a few years ago and that's how I solved it.