• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lost power to heater, windshield wipers, and radio suddenly

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
Yesterday while I was working out in the garage on the Bronco I had just cranked the Bronco on and was checking my new windshield wiper motor out and everything was working perfect. Turned the Bronco off and suddenly the radio, heater, and windshield wipers wouldn't work next time I turned it on. Checked the fuses and they are all good, I'm running a centech harness. Sound like a ground issue or something burnt up?

Toddpole

Contributor
Check the power feed on the back of your ignition switch. Had this happen to me after replacing my ignition switch and overlooking that one wire. Hooked it up and voila!

OP
OP
BroncKrawler

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
I double checked every fuse, looked at the backside of the fuse panel for any chance of water dripping onto to cause a short or burn out and it looks fine. Checked the back of the ignition switch for loose wires and everything looks good, nice and tight. Is there any chance a relay could have gone bad in the wire harness? I checked the battery, ground wires are fine to the body and frame. Could a starter solenoid cause this? What are some important things to check here? Just seems odd that it would suddenly just stop working. The only thing I changed prior to this happening was switching the old wiper motor with a new wiper motor and reconnecting the 4 wires (high speed, low speed, park, ground). The heater is on a separate fuse, the wiper/wash and radio are on one together. Please help!

OP
OP
BroncKrawler

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
Using my volt meter for the ignition switch and my test light for the fuses. The motor turns over, head lights work, dash lights work, blinkers work, hazards work, fuel pump turns on, back up lights work, reverse light turns on. Lost on why just the wipers, radio and heater aren't working.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
You probably know this, but just to be sure the back of the IGN switch has two connections. One that plugs into the side and one that is secured with a nut. Just double checking because I would've bet a dollar that Toddpole had it nailed...

OP
OP
BroncKrawler

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
You probably know this, but just to be sure the back of the IGN switch has two connections. One that plugs into the side and one that is secured with a nut. Just double checking because I would've bet a dollar that Toddpole had it nailed...

I'll double check the threaded prong again and check the plug as well tomorrow morning once I get off of work. Hopefully I missed it the first time, thanks

OP
OP
BroncKrawler

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
Well Toddpole, you were 100% correct. I just woke up from working night shift and having a hard time sleeping thinking about what the issue is with my Bronco. I just walked out in the garage and curled up under the dash on the driver side and pulled on the power feed and it felt tight but decided to see if I could finger loosen the nut and low and behold I was able to twist it off with my fingers. Tightened it right up with a 3/8" socket and voila! Radio turned right on when I put it on to ACC, heater turned on when i turned the knob and the windshield wipers still work! Thank you Toddpole and Fireball05 for helping me to quickly fix this electrically gremlin!!!