• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Machine Shop charging me $350 to rework my engine

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
So I've got my block torn down all the way and I was looking to get it all cleaned up before I put it all back together. I read somewhere on the internet that the best thing to do was to get it hot tanked at the machine shop for about $30-50 and it would end up coming out like new almost.

So I take my heads and block to the local machine shop and they end up saying that nobody uses hot tanks anymore and they quote me this:

Water Jet for engine block - $75
Cam bearing reinstall - $35
Cleaning heads - $90
Valve job (resurfacing) - $150

This is my first time going through all this so I just want to make sure that I'm not getting the run around and getting sold on a bunch of stuff that I don't necessarily need to have done. I was honestly just looking forward to having the machine shop do all the cleanup work for me, but after looking at the price, I'm reconsidering my options.

I have access to a buddy's media blaster with glass beads, so I'm thinking about just using that to clean all my parts off and then taking it back to the shop to get the faces and valves resurfaced.

Does that sound like a good idea? I've never blasted before.

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
That sounds about right.. Most places where im at usually go the water and soap route to clean the parts now... Gotta love environmentalist..

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
That's a normal charge for those services. A note of caution, ya better not put greasy parts in your buddies' bead blaster....:mad: He'll be a little upset when he has to replace the media that's clogged with grease.....:cool:

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
I would have to figure that there are numerous high end machine shops in your area to get a quote from. The prices you have are in the ballpark, but you may need to have the bores cleaned up. Try to go no more than 10 over if possible. I'd find another block if they recommend more than that, my opinion of course.

strokers

Water Jet for engine block - $75
1 hour labor for hot soapy water and pressure washer

Cam bearing reinstall - $35
half hour for skilled labor

Cleaning heads - $90
.5 hours labor hot soapy water/pressure washer .7 hours bead blast combustion chamber and exhaust ports

Valve job (resurfacing) - $150
anything from cutting seats , surfacing valves, machine for flatness install new guides to disassemble install new seals and lap valves.

the prices seem reasonable but i would have to perform the unskilled cleaning labor myself

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Seems reasonable, but I would disagree with not using the cleaning option, I have no place to spray a motor out so I need someone to do it, again, prices are good.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sound about right with me. While I would prefer to have the parts hot tanked. (there are still places that do it). Having them clean the parts up is a good deal they will get them clean and you wont have to spend the hours yourself doing that part.
Now a lot of it depends on how dirty your parts are in the first place. you also have to consider that the shop may still charge for cleaning even if your parts are fairly clean.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I take my stuff down to the local car wash .. Wet them down with diesel or kerosene then spray them down before I leave for town .. Get to the car wash and place everything out in the wash bay.. Pan.. Valve covers.. block... heads .. Then I like that foamy Gunk stuff some use over cleaner.. Soak them down again.. Turn on the Soapy car wash and jump i with both feet .. When your done you'll need to hose yourself down so take a towell to dry off with..
... The prices sound about like. Other than I can't see how they would do a valve job without 1st cleaning the head.
... I've had 2 sets of cam bearing screwed up so I say let them do it..
.. I actually have the tool to install them. And I'm sure I'll do mine again when I do my 302.

strokers

The point i was trying to make but didn't was that he is paying a machine shop more labor in cleaning parts than he is for head work. If i was running a budget rebuild i would spend more money on skilled labor that i couldn't do than unskilled labor i could do. While location could be a issue to clean parts, a gallon of gas and 5 gallons hot water might allow more monies spent on machine work.

brewchief

The point i was trying to make but didn't was that he is paying a machine shop more labor in cleaning parts than he is for head work. If i was running a budget rebuild i would spend more money on skilled labor that i couldn't do than unskilled labor i could do. While location could be a issue to clean parts, a gallon of gas and 5 gallons hot water might allow more monies spent on machine work.

The cost for cleaning the heads may include disassembling them so if you DIY they still may charge labor.
I know some shops have what amounts to a big dishwasher that the block goes in to get blasted with hot soapy water, I'm assuming that's what he was quoted, it should do a far better job then the average guy can at home.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
been awhile since I've had a set of heads redone but last I recalled it was usually about $250 so those prices are good. And if I was doing the work I would still want to clean the parts before I did the work might not involve pressure washing if they look decent but they would still get cleaned. So I imagine price would still be above just a valve job. Kinda like the 19.95 brake job that costs you $30 or more due to shop supplies.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
The reason a lot of people have stopped using hot tanks is the disposal and cleanup fees are crazy expensive. Are you having the cylinders honed too? The price is pretty good if the shop is good.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
did you ever find out what was wrong with the engine? that price sounds about right to me

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
did you ever find out what was wrong with the engine? that price sounds about right to me

Yeah I found out alright... the first time I removed and reinstalled the intake, I left 8 paper towels in all the intake ports. When I cranked it over, they sucked into the valves and jammed the seats. (Hence no compression on half my cylinders)

I felt like such a jackass when I saw what I'd done.. lol

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
ooops, we all have done something like that once or twice. live and learn i guess

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would also have them ball hone the bores to deglaze the cylinders so your new rings seat. You can do that yourself but the ball hone isnt cheap.

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
I would also have them ball hone the bores to deglaze the cylinders so your new rings seat. You can do that yourself but the ball hone isnt cheap.

They are deglazing them already and ordering me new rings. thanks for the info, though