• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Main and AUX fuel tank switch

ChargingGoat

Probably a dumb question, but I am new to owning a bronco and can't figure it out.
In the image provided, is the Main or AUX tank selected?

Thanks.
search

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Pic didn't come through for me.

The switch on the dash that changes which tank the gauge reads?
Or the valve under the seat that changes the flow of fuel from one tank to the other?

ryan97

Loc.
Richmond
On the dash the toggle is pointing "to" the selected tank.
On the valve under the seat, the arrow points to the selected tank

OP
OP
C

ChargingGoat

Sorry the picture won't work. It's a link if you click...all I could post. I am referring to the one under the seat.
Does the long side of the switch -------> point to the tank used, or is it the short end, that looks like a point <?
Hope that clarifies.

Show Links

Loc.
Bakersfield
The short side acts as the pointer. If you look closely, the short side has a little arrow fashioned on the tip.

Rob

OP
OP
C

ChargingGoat

The short side acts as the pointer. If you look closely, the short side has a little arrow fashioned on the tip.

Rob

Thanks Rob. That's what I thought, but wanted it confirmed by someone who knew for sure.
Also, can this be changed on the fly, or are there required steps to make sure it properly switches?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Change on the fly. More than once I have been cruising the highway, go the stumble and it died. Leave it in gear so the engine stays spinning, reach under the seat, flip the valve, start going for the shoulder just in case. Give it a couple seconds (that feels like forever as you are loosing speed on a busy highway) and fuel will hit the engine and you are back to moving just like nothing ever happened.

After that you flip the switch on the dash, confirm that switch was on the wrong tank, and flip it back. Keeping the gauge and valve in sync requires attention on the part of the driver. It is easy to flip the dash switch to check what is in the other tank, forget you did so.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since the Bronco is new to you, it never hurts to verify (either through looking, or just using it) that the hoses and lever are actually still in the stock locations.
What I'm getting at is that it's very easy for a PO to have replaced the hoses over the years and attached them to the wrong fittings on the valve.
It's also easy enough to pull the small screw holding the lever to the valve, and putting it in any position.

These two scenarios are actually quite rare for some reason, but it does happen.
Maybe the dreaded PO's (previous owners) are actually being careful for once when they mess with gas?

Have fun with your new rig.
Oh, and to post images directly to the site from your computer you have to be a contributor (13 bucks a year), or use another online image hosting site like SuperMotors or another of the many that perform that function and then linking that image to your post.
I didn't see a link above either, but since someone viewed your image successfully, I'm guessing I just missed something.

Paul