• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Major problem? Very long

hendershot

I bought a 71 Bronco in all original form no mods. Been restoring it for year now and i'm at the point where stuff is finally going back together. The problem i'm having is that the front axle passenger side is 3/4 of an inch more forward than the other. At first I thought it was the bushings, so I reinstalled the arms to double check if parallel and c-bushings in correct sides, also checked to see if the arms were the same distance from the end of the radius arm to the back of the axle, then I checked the bushings on the frame mount both seated good and the big donut is still welded on the bracket. Then double checked that the axle is centerd (no problem there with the help of a rachet strap). Then i checked to see if the frame was bent (the body is off so no problem) it's only 1/8 off diagonally (which i believe is one frame rail is 1/16 forward) no big deal. So finally I decided to see if the radius arm mounts were the same on both sides, I measured fom the the center of the front leaf spring bolt to the back of the radius arm bracket at the 12 o'clock position it's a whole 5/8ths differant from sided to side! What the **** They don't looked modified rewelded twisted or anything. Is that the way they came from the factory? ANY HELP PLEASE

ElJefe

Loc.
San Diego
If you ask any of the vendors that try to sell 'bolt on' products that are supposed to fit our 'identical' trucks about factory tollerances, you will get some colorful answers. Having put a tape measure on a few of these, I'm convinced they were hand-welded without jigs by chimps. If it looks original and everything else measures out... they probably welded it on in the wrong place at the factory. It run just fine like that for 35 years... I wouldn't worry too much about it.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Have you ever noticed how many ford pickups run down the road with the bed cockeyed to the cab. Quality isnt always job 1

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
mtkawboy said:
Have you ever noticed how many ford pickups run down the road with the bed cockeyed to the cab. Quality isnt always job 1
Chevrolets are the same way. I had a brand new S10 back in 86 that the bed was obviously higher on one corner than the others.

OP
OP
H

hendershot

Could anyone take a measurement on there Bronco so i'm not so lonely? I would say the easiest is from the back of radius arm bracket at the twelve o'clock position where the bracket meets the rear bushing to the center of the front leaf spring bolt (side closest to driveshaft). If anybody could let me know there measurements, and if there's are off from one side to the other I would be in there debt. THANKS

Broncmeister

Fords are famous for dog tracking. Mine was the same. The PO used spring spacers in the rear, but didn't put a new centering pin in. The rear end over time gradually drifted and gave me a terrible dog track. I removed the spacers, centered the rear end and fixed the problem.