• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Major Refresh - Vendor Recommendations

rtslatta

I need some help with selecting vendors and parts. I am about to refresh my '71 wagon. It will only be used on the street in Southern California and maybe on a fire road or two, but nothing my wife's honda pilot couldn't handle.

For ease and time saving I plan on buying kits where it makes sense to. Below is a major parts list that I plan on buying in the near future. I have made the major items bold. Depending on the kit, I realize there may be some duplication in my list.

Any suggestions on vendors, and if applicable, identifying kits would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.5" Suspension System
  • 1" Body Lift
  • Front Anti-Sway Bar Kit
  • Starter Motor
  • Power Steering Kit
  • Adjustable Drag Link
  • Adjustable Tracking Bar
  • Water pump and crank pulleys
  • Ball Joints
  • Power disc brake conversion (at least front), including Hydroboost
  • 5spd Transmission + Conversion Kit
  • Twin Stick Transfer Case Shifter Kit
  • Shifter Boot
  • Short Throw Shifter
  • Clutch Fork Boot
  • Clutch Fork Spring
  • Clutch Fork Push Rod Bushing
  • Clutch Equalizer Bar Bushing Kit
  • Clutch Rod Seal
  • Clutch Return Spring
  • Throwout Bearing
  • Bumper (for rear)
  • Radius Arm Bushing
  • Family roll cage (future purchase)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rob

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Most of it probably a mass buy from wh. All the vendors have pretty good kits but most the stuff is heavy I picked wh to save on shipping. The starter, water pump and general stuff get from a local napa. Just make sure you ask for a good one. Napa carries a crap line now to compete with the big chain ap stores. You can save alot of $$ sourcing the ps, disc brakes and hydroboost yourself thru napa and the classifieds but if you want a kit go vendor. For a cage you have protofab or baliebuilt. Another option is have a local fab shop build one. Again shipping is $$ on a cage. The 5spd swap you might be able to find a local tranny shop that can source the parts and put it together for you.summit it's another source for the clutch and shifter parts if you know what you want.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I use a lot of the venders on here but it is hard to beat WH one inch body lift and their steering linkage upgrades. Quality stuff. And for the twin stick and boot the JBFab one is top shelf.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Welcome.

So as said previously... I prefer to buy things like starters local as well, so if there is a problem, I am not paying for shipping back and forth.
You can find inexpensive stuff on eBay and the like, but you get what you pay for...
Shipping seems to be the killer these days, being you are from SoCal, WH's would be cost effective. Tom's might also work, since you are not paying sales tax, but you will make up for it in shipping.

I have done a lot of business with WH's over the years, and more recently with Tom's since my son goes to college in OR now, both Companies are great to deal with, provide good customer service,and will do their best to get the shipping $$ as low as they can.

So here is something to think about... your warranty starts the day the parts show up. If this is a long term build, your warranty could run out before the part(s) has been installed. Rear springs that settle and sag, or a great price on a vacuum brake booster on a Black Friday sale that you install months later only to have the booster not work right a few months later. Vendors will try and help you out, but there are limits.

Good luck with your build, start a build thread and post pictures!

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Welcome! My advice is do research first and ask questions before buying. Also look at the classifieds here I have picked up some really nice stuff reasonable! Also sold stuff that I was not going to use in my build.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
My usual first stop is TBP, but all our vendors rock..

OP
OP
R

rtslatta

Thank you all for your suggestions. Very helpful. I will for sure start a build thread.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
With the amount of parts you're after it may be worth a road trip to wh or see if they're coming down to bronco days if there is one this year.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Vendors have been known to deliver parts to local events to save shipping costs. You just have to order early before whatever space they have fills up.