• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Manual Steering Shaft, Bind???

ktmrob200

On the 73 that I've been driving the last month or so the steering has a kinda bind or tight spot. It is only noticable at very slow almost stopped or crawling speed. It occurs in either direction from center about every full rotation of the steering wheel. I've checked the joint at the bottom of the shaft, which appears to be the only one. It was full of grease and I can't see any bind there with someone else turning the wheel for me. Any ideas?? I dont have anything else to drive so I'm hoping not to get in to an expensive or long repair.<br> <br> Thanks for any help<br> Rob<br>

mgweiss

Loc.
Denver
I had this problem last year and it turned out to be the steering box. I thought it was the rag joint too and replace the shaft with aftermarket one, but still had the same problem. It would bind up pretty bad when turning about half way to full lock. I found a used box that seemed fairly tight and bolted it on, problem solved.

OP
OP
K

ktmrob200

Mgweiss you might be on to something. I noticed that with the front end jacked up on stands, that I can still feel the spots it catches but a lot less noticably. So by having the wheels in the air and taking the pressure they put on the whole system out, I'd say the box may be the problem. <br> I hate to keep robbing parts from my 77, but it looks like next week might be a time to do a power steering swap. Then I'll have the excuse in the spring to upgrade the power steering on the 77 to a rock box or something.