• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Manual to Automatic Brake Pedal

txhawkeye

Working on my final list of parts and have a question. I am switching from a manual to an automatic can I just remove the clutch pedal from the pedal assembly or is there a big difference between doing that and the one Wild Horses sells part number 3048? I was going to buy a new one but to me there doesn’t seem to be a big difference. May be a stupid question but I am at the I spent too much and I need to save some money part of the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Working on my final list of parts and have a question. I am switching from a manual to an automatic can I just remove the clutch pedal from the pedal assembly or is there a big difference between doing that and the one Wild Horses sells part number 3048? I was going to buy a new one but to me there doesn’t seem to be a big difference. May be a stupid question but I am at the I spent too much and I need to save some money part of the build.

You can just remove the clutch pedal. But getting one from a 76 or 77 would be better because they are wider and more like the typical pedal off any automatic vehicle. Another option for a wide pedal is getting a billet pedal from Duff's. They have one that converts the narrow pedal to a wider one. I have in on my crawler and it works well. It simply attaches to the smaller pedal. Some people even weld the the clutch and brake pedals together so that both operate the brakes.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The wide pedal is a luxury. Not needed, but nice to have.

The pivot shaft had a "D" shape on one end, I think it is on the right. You have to pull the pin on that side and slide it out the other way. That is the only way it will come out.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Or you can just cut and bend a piece of 1/8" steel to fit a wide pedal pad (parts store thing) and weld it over the old narrow pedal. I laugh every time I see someone trying to sell a 76-77 pedal for $100.

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This give a pretty good visual comparison, items 10798 & 10799 from JBG. Looks like the auto stays bent a little further down than the manual pedal. Should be able to mimic.

Attachments

• autobrakepedal.jpg
    autobrakepedal.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 61
  • manbrakepedal.jpg
    manbrakepedal.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 61

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I wonder if the Mustang pedal would fit? I like ViperWolf's solution!

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
The wide pedal is a luxury. Not needed, but nice to have.

The pivot shaft had a "D" shape on one end, I think it is on the right. You have to pull the pin on that side and slide it out the other way. That is the only way it will come out.

Yep, slide it out from right to left. Might as well change the plastic bushings while you got it apart. Ken

OP
OP
T

txhawkeye

Awesome thanks for the info I am going to keep the setup I have and remove the clutch pedal.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Sorry But i THINK YOU NEED . to reread ViperWolfs message I think you love the wide pedal .
& Some have gone & got wide pedals from the wrecking yards.
... Many Years ago I had to chauffeur my old ex mothernlaw around. She had a tank Lincoln.
1ST time I drove it I hated her Hydro Boost brake system.. BUT after I got used to it. That wide pedal & Hydro Boost was sweet..
Some go get that brake pedal.

Nothing Special

Different people will have different opinions. Personally I don't see any reason I'd prefer a wider brake pedal. I think it's a bad idea to use both feet on the brake pedal (a friend rolled his Jeep when he was 2-footing the brake down a steep hill. When he locked the rears and started to swing around he tried to let off the brakes and fell into the steering wheel as his feet were keeping him up against the seat. If his left foot was on the floor he'd have been able to lift his right foot). And I never have any trouble finding the brake pedal with a manual trans, so it seems plenty wide to me.

When I had an auto in my Bronco I just pulled the clutch pedal. That worked perfect for me. And when I went back to a manual it was easy to put the clutch pedal back in.

I'm not saying a standard manual trans pedal is right for everyone. But a wide pedal isn't necessarily right for everyone either.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Well I don't advocate using 2 feet or both feet on the brake pedal. But I do like the longer or wider pedal over just the 4inch pedal.
But I'll go along ,with to each his own.

Bronco4x4

I welded steel to the sides of the short pedal and purchased a new rubber pad. It looks and works like it should. No two foot braking here as well. Just nicer to brake.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Just for clarification the wide pedal was for power disc brakes only. Standard or automatic. Deano has a 76 that was a cactory three speed with lower brakes and had the wide pedal. My 76 had an automatic with non-power brakes and had the small pedal

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just finished fabbing mine up this morning. Took the wide pedal from a 1987 F150, cut it off and transplanted it to that stock Bronco pedals bracket with the clutch pedal removed.

Attachments

• 20180607_141717.jpg
    20180607_141717.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20180609_093739.jpg
    20180609_093739.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 57
  • 20180609_095802.jpg
    20180609_095802.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 58

catfan

Contributor