• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Manual Transmissions

chawkfan

Loc.
Mebane, NC
Hello All,

Everybody has their own preferences on transmissions (automatics or manuals), mine is towards the manuals. I had a NP435 in my 68, and it worked great for me but can anybody share their experience with other kinds of manual transmisions, or was my setup the way to go?

Thanks,

Chawkfan

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Deoends on the way your bronco is used. The 435 is great if crawling alot. Ours see alot of steet time so I went with the toploader. The first gear isn't as low If I were starting ovr I would probably try to go with the zf 5-spd. I think the 5-spd swap requires driveshaft mods.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I am also partial to manual trannys. The NP435, as you know, is an excellent choice, IMO. It is really cheap to put one in, and it gives you that granny gear. I had a T-18 in a 1979 Ford P/U and a 1976 Ford P/U, and I had no complaints with that transmission.

If you do a lot of highway driving and are concerned about fuel mileage or something - then maybe get one with an overdrive. Otherwise, just go for the NP435 or the T-18.

Good luck.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) I run a top loader 4 speed wide ratio and when I get to old to shift good I will put in the C4. Its what you want to run its your toy I would think if you like the granny gear you would look at the newer 5 speeds have fun.:D :D :D bill %) :cool: ;D

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
For anything other than a lot of rock crawling you can't beat an NV3550 5 speed and a twin stick T-case shifter. No drive line mods, fits like it was designed for the Bronco, stick comes out of the floor in the middle of the tunnel, and the twin stick gives you a granny low in two-wheel drive if you like.

mountain14er

Loc.
Denver
overdrive

I just got back from a 400 mile trip to the mountains and used lots of 2hi and 4lo. Man, I can't tell you how much an overdrive would have been appreciated. I've got the NP435 now with 3.50 gears and 32's which puts me at around 2300 rpm to do 60. Not too bad but when traffic's going 75 or considering the combination of noise from wind and engine, loud stuff.

I know it's pricier but I'm already looking at how much I could sell my current setup for to put the $ toward an OD setup. my .02

Solar Aviator

I swapped the NP435 out of a FSB for a ZF 5 speed. The ZF bolts right up to the 302 block and the concentric hydraulic clutch is a breeze to hook up. OD will save you a bunch of gas and give you a nice deep low. You will get synchro in all gears and dispite what some say, it shifts beautifully. I used it with the standard 3.55 gears and 31" tires. The ZF and intermedaite housing added 3 1/8" to the total length over the NP 435. For what its worth, I wrote up a tech story that has been running in the back of Bronco Driver.

stlkikn

Here's another vote (or two) for the NV3550.
Have done two of our own trucks with the NV... would do another in a heartbeat.
4:1 first gear, od fifth... ratios match up very well with the 302 and 5.0
power curves. The AA kit was very inclusive, only needed to do exhaust mods to clear the new crossmembers, and had to clearance the front floor brace in the 1" body lifted truck.
Shifters sit dead centre to the floor pan, and at the perfect position so you're not reaching for fifth or reverse.

Brewbro21

I'm also very impressed with the NV 3550. The kit is very well engineered, pretty much a bolt on kit. When all is said and done you get your 5 spd over drive without any driveline mods.

And like said before it isn't for lots of crawling, but the first gear is still low enough that you can get out of some pretty sticky situations.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Another vote for the NV3550. I love mine. Great for around town. I never got to really wheel it once I got it installed...but I did drive it for about 7 months before I disassembled the trcuk for the frame off. Its a very clean install. The AA parts fit great and are very durable.

If you are looking to do a bit more offroad and hard-core wheeling, then I would go with the NV4500. The NV4500 gear ratios are almost the same as the ZF ~5.5:1 1st and ~.72:1 OD, the rest of the gearing [2nd, 3rd] (which agian is almost the same as the ZF is about the same as the stock three speed--which are all OK, but not as ideal for street driving, cruising and mild wheeling as the NV3550--1st, 2nd, 3rd are awesome in this tranny). However, the NV4500, like the ZF is a heavy duty tranny-- very beefy, very strong, but vs the ZF its relatively short. Your driveline will only increase a few inches vs the ZF which is a huge assembly. If your running alot of susp. lift, then you may not need a new rear drive shaft, but will probably need a front. I would imagine from my experience with their 3550 kit that the AA-4500 kit is also a great in fit and function. There are also a few individuals that make the bellhousing and D20 adapters for these kits...their price is cheaper than AA, but that adds a bit more work for you factor in sourcing the crossmember, bolts and other small parts (which can be more $$ byuying separate)....vs the AA kit.

Hunter

Loc.
Coeur d'Alene ID
I'll second the vote for the ZF. (I swapped out a 435) I run 33"s with 4.10s and it purrs along at 70, only turning about 2100rpm. It bolts up directly to the engine -Yes it requires a drive shaft mode, but the upside is that both driveshafts are then close enough in length to each other that you only need one spare. Its also smooth and quiet, and has a great low. I've never sat down and figured out all the costs, but I think its probably the cheapest way to get a five speed. 1 adaptor, and mods to the drive shafts vs 2 adaptors...