• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Master cylinder/proportion valve help

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Team, I just upgraded to a power brake booster and of course it magnified the issue of my rear drums locking up before the front discs. I bought a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve and would like to connect it directly to the port in the master cylinder, then connect the rear line to that. Here's my problem, my rear line has the larger of the two fittings (not sure of the size) and the small reservoir port is the smaller of the two on the MC. Can I find the adapters to do what I want or do I need to go back to the drawing board? I would put it where the factory proportioning valve was, but I have almost no space there and would be able to adjust it without BBQ'ing my arm on the headers. P.S. the Wilwood I bought has 1/8 NPT inlets.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-260-8419/overview/

Also, does anyone know the fitting size of the small reservoir on the power MC and the large rear brake line? This is what I bought, let the roasting begin.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwi-1p32yP3kAhWhdt8KHdcuCCAQ8wIIggM

Thanks in advance, I suck at those brake line specs.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Think I found the answer to the fitting sizes on search number 130, LoL.

MC ports: 1/2-20 & 9/16-18
Proportion valve end of lines; 3/8-24 & 7/16-24

Does this sound right?

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I think I have a solution and will post pics this weekend after (if) my plan works. Already had one fail with the "loaner" brake line flaring tool, the clamp wouldn't hold the line because it was broken. Maybe I need to buy a new one that hasn't been abused.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
So I did this with that and those.

Attachments

• C2C65952-F2BD-464F-871F-0D007323E142.jpg
    C2C65952-F2BD-464F-871F-0D007323E142.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 76
  • CC6D01CA-0385-4B58-A328-CA4FF9D3DDE4.jpg
    CC6D01CA-0385-4B58-A328-CA4FF9D3DDE4.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 61
  • D57F0496-E46B-43AB-92ED-61B0CB76674A.jpg
    D57F0496-E46B-43AB-92ED-61B0CB76674A.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 59

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Quick work. Keep us posted on how it works. Both from a performance and from leak standpoints.

We sell the kits with prop valve, mounting bracket, pre-bent hard lines and stuff, for $118 bucks.
Not bad if you can't do it yourself, and it will be the more common 1/8 NPT size rather than factory fitted sizes. So you'd still need adapters for a stock master cylinder, but not for the most common aftermarket ones.

Where did you get your adapters?

Paul

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
A personal best, the DirtDonk responded to my post!

DirtDonk, I don't know why I like to do things the hard way, I should have just purchased one of your kits. I bought two pre-made lines from a local parts house, one end had the 3/8-24 fitting, the other 1/2-20 for the MC port. I cut one of them really short for the MC to proportioning valve and the other I cut just to use the 3/8 fitting on my existing stainless line. I cut the stainless line, removed the large fitting and replaced it with the 3/8. The cheap flare kit worked alright, but I haven't bled the brakes yet. I'll tackle that tomorrow and let you know about leaks, I probably should have mounted it to the fender or somewhere it won't wobble around.

P.S. I purchased those stainless lines along with the braided lines to the axles from WH.... among other great products.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great! Thanks and hope our products do a good job for you.
I think you'll be ok with it sitting out in space like that. Those lines are pretty robust themselves, and yours are pretty short too, so support is probably decent. I suppose if it had a 90° bend in it, the line would have even more strength, but not sure the valve is heavy enough to cause any trouble or not.
I guess we'll see over time!

Good luck on the bleeding.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
the man is good bout answers to questions, a couple times over and very knowledgeable... in words of that ransil dude (double/triple humping) LOL side joke

this site is all bout aiming to please..

and our Vendors or top of the line for sure, WH being one of those3

A personal best, the DirtDonk responded to my post!

DirtDonk, I don't know why I like to do things the hard way, I should have just purchased one of your kits. I bought two pre-made lines from a local parts house, one end had the 3/8-24 fitting, the other 1/2-20 for the MC port. I cut one of them really short for the MC to proportioning valve and the other I cut just to use the 3/8 fitting on my existing stainless line. I cut the stainless line, removed the large fitting and replaced it with the 3/8. The cheap flare kit worked alright, but I haven't bled the brakes yet. I'll tackle that tomorrow and let you know about leaks, I probably should have mounted it to the fender or somewhere it won't wobble around.

P.S. I purchased those stainless lines along with the braided lines to the axles from WH.... among other great products.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Update: no issues with leaking, but it was very close to the hood cross brace. This valve supposedly allows you to dial the rears down to about 50%, but they still lock up before the front. I am wondering if I need to pull the front apart and make sure they are working correctly.

MonsterBIlly

I have a front power disc conversion and have had issues with them since installed. I have adjusted the push rod a few times. bled them over and over and adjusted the rears.
No matter what i do my break are unpredictable. sometimes they work great and other times hardly at all. at least it keeps me driving safe.

I just dont think that the small vac booster is enough