• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MC thread question

first timer

Swapped the 71 master cylinder that was going out with a 77 to match my disc/drum setup. The adaptor I pulled off the old MC fit into the rear port on the new one. Front port seems to be a 7/16 (the plug says that anyways) and the existing brake lines are 3/8 right?

If so, I can't find that adaptor at the 4 places I've tried, anyone else had this problem? Keep looking? Do I even have the right sizes?

Thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Usually the better MC's will come with adapters. brake line size is 3/16" the thread sizez for the MC are supposed to be 9/16"-18, 1/2"-20 Hit up a NAPA they should have the correct adapters. Biggest issue is that the stock brake lines to the MC usually have the correct sized threads for the MC but if the lines have been replaced you need adapters.

OP
OP
F

first timer

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try more stores. The auto zone I went to seemed limited. Have the brake line fitting and the 77 MC is 7/16 so just gonne keep trying... Thanks

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you post up the male and female adapter dimensions you need, someone might be able to give you a Weatherhead, Edelmann, Everco, etc part number for what you need. There seems to be a lot of confusion when it comes to specifying brake line fittings since some manufacturers actually call out the tubing size instead of the actual fitting thread size, pitch and type.

Tobin

OP
OP
F

first timer

yeah, that was the main issue i was having. I ended up finding the right one though without having to pull the MC back out.