• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Measurement for 5.5 lift

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
I installed 5.5 coils and 11 pack rear springs 1 year ago and they have not settled any. I think I was given the wrong front springs. If I can get a measurement from the top of the axle to bottom of frame on front and rear I would appreciate the help. Thanks

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
My front is 11 5/8" with WH 5.5" coils. My rear is a little over 12" with WH the 4.5" 11 pack WH lief springs.
I have no top or doors and a 13 gallon tank. I have run this set up for over 4 years on the back and about 2 years on the front.

Attachments

• all 599.jpg
    all 599.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
BRONCO26

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
Thanks a lot mine is a little under 14 in rear got to get it down somehow they are wh rear and front but they haven't settled like they said they would I am gonna call in the morning to see what they can help md with. Thanks for the help

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That 14" is like 8" of lift, if our normal calculations (6" at the rear stock) hold true. And 2" over what Shamu's running with his 4.5's. That's unusual even for brand new springs. High even for 5.5" springs.
What is the number stenciled on the top leaf?

What is the front measurement?
Have you driven it much? How many miles and have you driven it hard or bounced around off-road yet?
I'm not suggesting that doing that will settle the springs several inches by any means (any springs for that matter), but it's good info to know in case we find some common denominator.

Couple other questions for you, to start things off before you call the shop.

1. Are the double-wrap eyes at the front? (this won't normally effect the height. Just curious)
2. If using stock shackles, are the open ends facing rearward?
3. Did you wait until the full weight was on the ground before you tightened the bolts?
4. Are you using the original hardware or new, and what did you tighten the bolts down to?
5. What is the difference (roughly) between the front and rear, as measured at the body line?

Yes, you can take leaves out, as you may have been told originally too, but it'd take too many leaves to get you down to a more normal level from where you are I'm thinking.
Sorry about the hassle, but we should be able to determine something at least.
Nose bleeds are no fun!

Paul

OP
OP
BRONCO26

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
dirt donk i will look at my springs when i get home and answer all your questions. it has new hardware and new poly bushings. i did tighten everthing up when the bronco was on level ground in my shop.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i should have measured mine before i left. Im pretty sure my 5.5" suspension hasnt settled much if any in the 2000 miles i have on it and i really dont expect the rear to ever settle. I might pull the 3rd leaf down just to help it ride smoother though, and id expect that to drop the rear probably 1".

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...it has new hardware and new poly bushings. i did tighten everthing up when the bronco was on level ground in my shop.

Good. I'm sure that tightening them up while still in the air doesn't always mess things up. But it can.

Regarding the new hardware and torquing though, how tight did you go? With locking nuts you don't need (or want) to torque them down to the original Ford specs. A much lighter torque is all you need with the shouldered poly bushings commonly used.
Of course, if they were over-torqued you'd probably feel that in the ride quality too I would think. Be stiffer than it should be.

Good luck. Will be interested in your findings.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...I might pull the 3rd leaf down just to help it ride smoother though, and id expect that to drop the rear probably 1".

Yep, or maybe a little less than 1". I'd kind of expect somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4, but then again, if it's sitting high and hasn't settled to begin with, you may get your full inch after all.

And too, if you need to fine-tune it any after removing that long leaf, losing one or two of the lowest short leaves will net you the exact thickness of the leaf itself and not much more. If any.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1180 = 5.5" rear spring.
If you didn't already, call the shop tomorrow and see what they have to say. Re-measure between the frame and axle tube just to confirm, and if you can, shoot them a picture too so they can see first-hand (well, more like second hand) what you're having to deal with.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
BRONCO26

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
called wh and talked to nick and he said pull out the 3rd leaf from top so that is my plans this weekend. i will keep yall posted.

OP
OP
BRONCO26

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
I took out the 3rd and 4th spring and lowered it 1 inch. It looks a lot better now. I would advise if you go w 5.5 lift but 4.5 rear springs. Thanks for the help and advise.
danytahy.jpg
umemu7ar.jpg

hotrod351

the pic that says before is really angled down hill. i guess the pics above are after, still angled down hill but not as bad. guess im lucky, i have 3.5" duff springs in front and deaver 4.5" springs in back so i ended up with a level 4" lift. id still like the front to be 3/4" higher in the front than the back but at least its level. funny how that works, if your 2" higher in the back nd raise the front 2" you really end up with 1" in the front higher and 1" in the back lower. went though that with my 90 f150 4X4 trying got get it level.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
BRONCO26,What size tires are you running?how much did your coils settle once you put the bronco back on the ground a couple of inches or more?I'm just wondering because I just put a 3.5inch coil from HW and it seems pretty tall ,I don't have all the engine or the running gear in so I no that makes a big difference.My coils measured 20inches not in the bronco.

OP
OP
BRONCO26

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
I am running 32 1150 15 km2. I am not sure how much it settled but in a earlier post someone said what mine should read on a tape measure and it was dead on in the front but my rear dropped 1 1/2 after I drive it and it settled. Don't judge height until u get all running gear in it and it should all measure out right for you.