• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Measurements Needed, Frame Height

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I'm going to be starting on the front suspension soon and need a couple of examples of measurements.

If a couple guys could measure the height above ground for each side frame rail at the front and back of their rigs, and maybe a comparison of the "rake" or angle of stance. I. e.

"Both sides of the front are 22.5" above the ground, the back sits at 25" and it appears level from the side." If you felt like throwing your suspension lift numbers in that might help.
TIA, Joe

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I used the body line for a reference. I just put mine up on blocks for my tear down and it was 47 inches to the top edge of the body line. That made my front axle to frame measurement 11 inches. From what I read here 7 inches is stock. The rear i raised to match the body line.
I also have a 1 inch body lift.
My rear springs and hangers are off so there's no going back now!

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Thanks Ken.

That's it, one response from the thousands of members? One guy could be bothered to spend 2 minutes to take a couple of measurements and post a response?

I should have asked what color to paint my rig....
Joe

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
Basically you question boils down to "How much, if any, and what direction of rake do you like"? Am I right?

I prefer about 1" higher in the rear. Which reminds me, I really should swap out my 5.5" coils for some 4.5"ers

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I'll get you the frame to the ground tonight or tommorow. If you need any more measurements let me know. I'm setting the height I gave you for 35 inch tires.
So whatcha building?;D

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Basically you question boils down to "How much, if any, and what direction of rake do you like"? Am I right?

No, my question is more like "how high above the ground are your front and rear frame horns?".

To expound: I'm assembling a complete project from the ground up and the rear is currently sitting on the springs/axle/tires that I'll be using, but the front end is held up by jack stands till I get the suspension built for the front end. In order to design the suspension for the front I need to get the front of the frame sitting at "ride height". To do that I need some measurements in relation to the ground. The only reason rake was brought into my question was so I understood the persons viewpoint when receiving their measurements.

I currently have one EB to measure and it's about 4" higher in the rear vs. the front and has a significant rake to it, more than I'd prefer. I was hoping to get a few more measurements so I could at least get a "baseline" to set the front and start the suspension. This measurement is further suspect because the PO welded some 4" poop-pipe into the ends, after beating the whole thing up with a BFH.

The front end will be all tube-work and will tie into the main cage hoops, although removable. In reality I'll probably build the main hoop going forward and following the fender lines, then bend some 180 degree hoops up from the frame and that tie into the upper bars. This way I can drill/sleeve the 180 hoops and bolt between them in a couple positions.

I appreciated Ken's answer, but the body is sitting on the jig and isn't useful to transfer measurements. Overall I was thinking the front frame horns **should** be about 1" lower than the rear.

I figured few folks would want to read all that on the first go-round and hoped to simplify.
Joe

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
You shamed me into looking for you. Believe me it wasn't easy the way the rigs are shoehorned in the garage.;)
I have 22" frame horn (just inback of where the stock bumpers mount) to the garage floor. No lift,31"tires

edit: thats front and back

Last edited:

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I was just wondering why our actual frame horn heights mattered at all?
Since that will vary soo much based on tires, tire pressure, how our broncos are loaded, etc etc. To me, the important, much more talked about, and seemily more relavant dimensions are the axle tube to frame rail dimensions. If you back out all of those other variables you are left with rake angle, thats why it seemed like what you were after.

Also, not sure how you plan on approximating the rear ride height without the body on and all the weight that will be in it.
It kind reminds me of the "how long will my driveline need to be" questions.
Not trying to bust on you, just trying to understand where you are coming from in your thought process.
Its probably me that the confused one, its been known to happen.

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I was just wondering why our actual frame horn heights mattered at all?

Because all I want to know is how much difference there is between how far the front is above the ground vs. the rear. Every other measurement is a bunch of variables comparatively.

For instance, no matter which tire/lift/axle/wheel offset/hard, soft or whatever top/etc... they are running, the frame will be a certain distance above the ground in the front and in the back.

I was just hoping that a couple guys could actually measure their rigs and tell me that the front is 1.786" lower than the back, or something similar. I measured the one I have and it's 4" higher in back, but that's not "right" based off looking at it.

Obviously, this is a bridge too far and I'll just drive around town tomorrow with a tape measure...;D ;D ;D
Joe

Last edited:

carter2772

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
Because all I want to know is how much difference there is between how far the front is above the ground vs. the rear. Every other measurement is a bunch of variables comparatively.

For instance, no matter which tire/lift/axle/wheel offset/hard, soft or whatever top/etc... they are running, the frame will be a certain distance above the ground in the front and in the back.

I was just hoping that a couple guys could actually measure their rigs and tell me that the front is 1.786" lower than the back, or something similar. I measured the one I have and it's 4" higher in back, but that's not "right" based off looking at it.

Obviously, this is a bridge too far and I'll just drive around town tomorrow with a tape measure...
Joe

Its ok if people dont konw what u mean... i have 2 eb's here and will measure them for u. I am not sure, but think u are taking the posts the wrong way... The members are really just tring to help. Be back soon with my front and rear heights on the frame... Good luck!

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Its ok if people dont konw what u mean... i have 2 eb's here and will measure them for u. I am not sure, but think u are taking the posts the wrong way... The members are really just tring to help. Be back soon with my front and rear heights on the frame... Good luck!

My smiley emoticons didn't show up at the end of the last line, fixed now.;D
Joe

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA

So I understood you right the first time. You want amounts of rake.
I'm actually higher in the front by about an inch, but when the top and doors are off in the summer it sits level. I prefer level to 1" higher in the rear.

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
No, I want measurements based on how much higher or lower one end of the frame is vs. the opposite end.

Rake is a measurement based on an angle, expressed in degrees.
Joe

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
No, I want measurements based on how much higher or lower one end of the frame is vs. the opposite end.

Rake is a measurement based on an angle, expressed in degrees.
Joe

Ok so our misunderstading is over the actual definiton of rake.....
Got it. ;D

carter2772

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
UGH!!! My frame in front, on the highest point where the bumper attaches, is 1" lower than the rear frame at the same point where that bumper attaches...

This EB, sits a little lower in the front, if you are looking at the body lines. Maybe 1/2 low in the front, with a hard top, stock rear seat, no carriers, no body lift.

It has a superlift 5.5 suspension.

Is that what you were looking for?

here is a vid, no pictures and its too dark out to take one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkvC2cyaGYM&feature=channel_page

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Thanks.

Between the responses on here and running around the neighborhood today (a couple more EBs live close) I believe the answer is:.............

Most seem to be comfortable when the front is about an inch lower than the rear.

Thanks to all who replied. Nice Video!
Joe

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Damn, I guess I really do need new rear springs then. Most prefer an inch lower in the front than the rear, and mine is 1.75" lower in the back, that would equate to almost 3" sag(!)? I don't have that much crap back there...%)