• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Measuring Fan distance to radiator

Heus33

Bronco Guru
How close should my fan be to the radiator? How close is too close?

I'm approx 2" from the radiator now - I've read that I should be closer (thanks Tasker for the help!).

Ive got a fixed aluminum fan, 18" with a steel shroud. The fan does not seem to be pulling much air across the engine which I think could be the last piece to my colling puzzle.

Where can I go for a spacer?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you running a fan shroud? The fan shroud is more important than the distance from the radiator of the fan blade when it comes to pulling air across the radiator. 2" should not be a problem, epecially with a shroud.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Yes - I have a steel shroud from Duffs. The fan blade sits even with the edge of the shroud on the left and right side - meaning its not fully 'inside' the shroud.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
i THOUGHT that the fan blade is supposed to be 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud ..That's what I've been told ..

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
i THOUGHT that the fan blade is supposed to be 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud ..That's what I've been told ..

Hmmm - thats exactly where mine is now. Anyone else hear differently?

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
The fan should sit even with the edge of the shroud. If you are using a flex fan, this will give the fan blades room to move, without hitting the radiator. Remember the shroud allows the fan to pull the air thru the radiator, if the fan is outside of the shroud, it will not work as effectively. Too close to the radiator and the fan can hit it. They make guards for radiators, to keep fan from hitting the rad. These are great, if you do not have the room to move the fan away from the rad.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I'll have to snap a few pics and post up what I've got - just gotta find the camera now... %)

SeaninSt.Cloud

Advance Auto should carry a universal fan spacer.

My experience....

I installed a flex fan and for my fan, the manufacturer recommended 2/3 fan blade in the shroud and 1/3 out of the shroud, or vice versa..not looking at it right now.

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
The fan is spot on with what everyone says. Its roughly half in/half out of the sides of the shroud.

If this is the case - why am I not getting as much airflow as I did with my old flex fan? Should I go back to flex? I'm currently running an aluminum 6 blade fan from Advanced Auto... looks like this one...

Attachments

• 1027fan.gif
    1027fan.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 79

75bronco08

Loc.
sublimity,oregon
personaly i only run 7 blade that ford used. i find they move lot more air than aftermarket blades just my 2 cent.i just put on steel shroud from toms and my temp stays 195 at idle instead of 230.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think the master Nickstrix will agree that with a fan shroud the fan (fixed blade) should sit 1/2 in and 1/2 outside as the other CB memebr stated. BI

OP
OP
Heus33

Heus33

Bronco Guru
This might sound dumb but is it the right rotation?

That was my first guess - CCW is what I need.

I'm going to pick up a flex fan and try that - the PO ran one and there were fewer problems with that setup.