• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Measuring for driveshafts

Montoya

Exciting times measuring for new driveshafts...that means it's sitting at ride height for the first time in 6 years!

I'm sure it's been asked before but I could't find it.

When you measure for your driveshaft, everything I've read says measure from flat to flat on the yokes but what if they aren't parallel? The top flats are farther away than the bottom flats so which measurement do I go with?

I assume it's the bottom so do I just go with the minimum dimension?

Last question, anyone running drive flanges instead of yokes on your T-case? Looking for opinions on them, advantages vs disadvantages. I know they are stronger but do they limit anything? I have high pinions front and rear so angles aren't much of an issue but I am running a good amount of power. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Jon

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Go for center. If possible I like to give the driveshaft builder 3 numbers. Ride height is the easy one to get. Full droop is another easy one to get, this way you know the shaft will stretch ling enough. Full compression is harder to get, especially with leaf springs since the arc of the spring plays with the travel. This one is often more of a guess. How much clearance to the bump stops? Tape measure up from there and from the flange to this guessed point. I tend to ignore the axle shifting back as the leaf flattens to give myself a little extra margin. Help account for the extra shrinkage when you get some pinion climb as well.

Don't have anything against flanges. Less chance of damaging a flange if you break a U-joint. Can't crush a bearing cap overtightening the driveshaft. But you can also argue that you loose a little effective length as the flange can take more room so the U-joint to U-joint will be a little shorter.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Wild Horses has good instructions for ordering custom sized driveshafts. I called them when ordering mine and they were very helpful and their Tom Woods driveshafts are a really nice piece and pretty reasonable.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Tom woods or Carolina driveline website's have diagram on how to measure

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Go off Center here as well.. Wound up with a Duff and a TWoods', diff vendor for front/rear and measured center to center

no issues

OP
OP
M

Montoya

Thanks everyone. I'll get them ordered today and hope to get this thing on the road by the end of the month!