• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Measuring lift by PO - 9.25" front 10.25" back

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Have a 71 that I'm finally getting to working on. Ran across http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1109751#post1109751, which states that the stock distance between top of axle tube and bottom of frame is 7" for front and 6" for rear.

Just ran out and measured - I'm showing 9 1/4" in front and 10 1/4" in rear, yet the bronco doesn't seem to have a strong forward lean when viewed from the side.

Is it possible the OP means 6" for front and 7" for rear? Or did my PO really screw things up? I'm about to order some new steering components and I want to make sure I have the lift figured correctly before I buy.

Thanks in advance for the help!

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
7" Front and 6" Rear is what I've always heard.

Maybe the PO just wanted his rig to set level and mixing up lift kits was the only way he could get it level?

Some say you want about an 1" over in the rear. For hauling people and stuff around.

OP
OP
DuctTape

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Some say you want about an 1" over in the rear. For hauling people and stuff around.

See that would make sense, but if I've measured right, I have a 2.25" lift in front and 4.25" lift in back. Seems a bit much. Maybe I'll replace the front coils with 3.5".

Thanks for the help ;)

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
I'm about to order some new steering components and I want to make sure I have the lift figured correctly before I buy.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I think you need more lift on both ends. that way you can get bigger tires. then after that you can get ever bigger tires. I know I'm not the only one here with biggertireitus.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If its sitting pretty much level I'd leave it as is and go with 2.5in of lift for any parts you order. If you swap out the front springs then you may endup with the front higher than the rear unless thats the look you want.