• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

MEB trip- Gore VA Carnage Thread

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
You should of spent a couple more minutes throwing the tootsie rolls. You need to throw them at the kids, like in a parade.

why so everyone could catch up to our time? ;D Thanks again for the rides Terry, i always have a blast hanging with ya!

TM Toys

Loc.
Barboursville , VA
How did you get it off the trail with a broken heim? Or did you have a spare?

James w/ the tuggy { yota buggy} had a spare , so while we got others unstuck gave him plenty of time to replace and keep wheeling .

I must say riding shotgun this yr , I did my share of spotting !! ;D

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I scraped the rear diff so much on the rocks it drained itself on the trailer ride home.:eek:

I have heard that is pretty common in 9" axles that are abused on the rocks. That reminds me I should shave and plate mine before I have the same problem!

Ensane13

Loc.
Sandy Hook
Broke down on the trip back with 112 miles to go due to some sort of fuel issue (AAA tows 100 or less for free). Restarted every couple minutes and limped along until finding a service station 93 miles from home, woohoo Plus part is all the gas money I saved, haha :)

OP
OP
broncosbybart

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
My transfer case wouldn't stop leaking even after a front output yoke seal replacement late Thursday. Also my horn shorted and started smoking through the column while on the trail (that will make you pucker). Other than that, my wife wrecked our brand new car while heading up to the event to meet me. That sent her to the ER to get checked out and forced me to leave the event. Even though I only spent 1 day on the trail, the overall carnage was high. Maybe next year will be better...

Whoa! Is she ok? Hope that everything is ok, minus just the car. Kinda puts things in perspective.

OP
OP
broncosbybart

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I think heim joints will be an added feature to my tool box. This is the 2nd one that I've broken. Had a spare, but it was back at camp in the tow rig. Made sure to give James his heim back in case some other sorry sucker like myself needs it in the future.

I blame Eugene Rose alone for the breakage of the stub shaft!!! (In his sly tone Thursday morning as I was unloading- 'You're gonna break something today'). Uh huh.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think heim joints will be an added feature to my tool box. This is the 2nd one that I've broken. Had a spare, but it was back at camp in the tow rig. Made sure to give James his heim back in case some other sorry sucker like myself needs it in the future.

I blame Eugene Rose alone for the breakage of the stub shaft!!! (In his sly tone Thursday morning as I was unloading- 'You're gonna break something today'). Uh huh.

He is good for that-he blamed Ken and I for his "butt stand" next to the tree on Penciltuck....... Actually, Steve made a comment on how deep the holes in front of the rocks by the tree had gotten since we ran it in the Ranger a couple events ago. That was all it took!!!!!!
Brad has good prices on his chromo heims.

Broncitis

MEB Founder

What rod ends are you using?

You should not be breaking them like that if using the correct ones. I have made over 100 steering systems for people and have never had a SRE break and only a couple get worn out by people like BroncoLou and Mtfit who race/wheel the hell out of their rigs way harder and more often than 99% of the rest of us.

FK JMX series has been my choice for over 10 years.

However, I always have a spare left and right hand thread spare in my trail kit when I wheel in case I need it or if someone else does.

Roadburner

Thursday tore the rear bumper loose and caved in left qtr panel bottom on corum, then tagged a tree with the right door handle on et.
Friday added a few dents to the right qtr.
Saturday no carnage.
Sunday on the way home Jr blew a right rear tire on his superduty. Spare tire carrier wouldn't lower and had to bust it up to get the tire down only to find it was a taller tire. It was the same size as my F250 so we used my spare and changed out both rear tires. An hour later stuck in traffic on I70 his right front went flat. Did a pit crew tire change using the good rear tire we took off before and only lost a couple spots in line.
Great weekend with my boys, wouldn't trade it for anything

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Other than that, my wife wrecked our brand new car while heading up to the event to meet me. That sent her to the ER to get checked out and forced me to leave the event.

man, that blows... Hope she is doing alright...

Pearlcoat

Bronco Guru
Thursday tore the rear bumper loose and caved in left qtr panel bottom on corum, then tagged a tree with the right door handle on et.
Friday added a few dents to the right qtr.
Saturday no carnage.
Sunday on the way home Jr blew a right rear tire on his superduty. Spare tire carrier wouldn't lower and had to bust it up to get the tire down only to find it was a taller tire. It was the same size as my F250 so we used my spare and changed out both rear tires. An hour later stuck in traffic on I70 his right front went flat. Did a pit crew tire change using the good rear tire we took off before and only lost a couple spots in line.
Great weekend with my boys, wouldn't trade it for anything

Heard you had tire problems going home, glad it all worked out. Thanks again for all you and the boys do!

GRN_MEANIE

Finished my hydro assist right before loading it on my trailer. Kept burping air Thursday and Friday. Friday night we left to set up comp course, and I all but lost my steering. Between 9pm fri and 12pm sat I changed remote resivoir mount, changed hose routing, changed pump, then finally changed my box. Of course filling and burping the system between each step. Sat afternoon me and the other SV4W guys did 3-4 trails before dinner! Steering worked better than it had when I was still running 33's! Wonder how long the box was bad?

wpaeb

Loc.
Clarion ,PA
Wednesday -- Made it without any issues this time.
Thursday -- going up corum, every time I bashed a rock with the front my fuel pump came unplugged. Zip ties to the rescue!!
Friday -- Went up corum. After I was off the trail I found my Left front spring had came out of the cup. Went back to camp to fix and picked up another injured pony on the way out.
Thank You to Duffs for the donation to the raffle, I will not have
this problem again

Saturday -- Never really got under way. Ripped the traction bar off the rear housing. Thanks for the ride Dave.
Sunday --- other than getting caught in the I-70 bottle neck.

All minor stuff. Always made it back to camp for repairs.

chris

No more Rock Crawler
My rear drive shaft left my bronco at 50 mph near the end of ride. I just had it rebuilt. It just missed chris, and the other people behind me. Im lucky it missed everybody. It was very scarry seeing it flying through the air at 50 mph.

You should have been on my end watching it fly 20 feet in the air after coming out from under your truck. :eek:

Broke the two front stabilizers on the new camper and separated the rear taillight housing on the Blue Bronco when I kissed a tree with the stock tire carrier. Almost ripped the black water tank connection off the trailer while trying to back it into the driveway at home. Camper is still sitting in the street %) .

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
The rocks smashed my exhaust tip almost completely flat. It got even worse the last day after hitting Corum a second time.

Attachments

• IMGP0021.JPG
    IMGP0021.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 50

ransil

Bronco Guru
I had to use my Super Duty to get my Father-in-laws camper up my driveway his " real truck" could not handle the task.

ransil

Bronco Guru
The rocks smashed my exhaust tip almost completely flat. It got even worse the last day after hitting Corum a second time.

You should see mine, its been worse than that for a few years, keeps the noise down a bit from the flow masters. ;D
its been on the list to fix for a few years