• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

medium bearing axles

travisneville

are there any differences between bb and med bearing axles besides the drum size and retainer plate? thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You looking to swap from one housing to another Travis? Come across a good deal on some HD axles that are not the same as your existing housing?

Paul

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
... remember medium Bearing = '74 - '75.. is a large Bearing that has a 3/8 bolt not a 1/2" bolt & the flange spacing is different

If I remember correctly ... 'cuz , bolting on the Explorer Disc Brakes was as easy as open a beer on my '74...

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
there are only Small Bearing & Big Bearing Axles....

.. '74 - '75 , .. is considered medium duty because .. of the 3/8" flange bolts...

all others, Large & Small Bearing have 1/2" bolt flanges ...that have different bolt spacing .....

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...all others, Large & Small Bearing have 1/2" bolt flanges...

I wasn't aware that the EB small-bearing housings had 1/2" retainer bolts, is that correct? All of the car small-bearing housings I've ever dealt with used 3/8" retainer bolts (none were EB housings though), the same as the big-bearing Torino/New/Medium/etc style.

What's interesting is that some of the big-bearing (old style) housings used 3/8" retainer bolts as well, including but not limited to some of the 79+ Bronco housings: http://www.moserengineering.com/other-parts/housing-ends/big-ford-3-8-holes.html

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Only the HD axle has 1/2" studs.

Attachments

• ford%209%20inch%20axle%20ends.JPG
    ford%209%20inch%20axle%20ends.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 31

mattt

Bronco Guru
Yes, axle length is slightly different, brake back space is slightly different. This chart below clearly lays it out.....hope that helps.

attachment.php

It has always been my assumption that the "medium duty" name stuck because it is big bearing, but small brakes(10").

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It has always been my assumption that the "medium duty" name stuck because it is big bearing, but small brakes(10").

It was due to the GVWR. The small bearing axle was standard with the 4300 lb GVWR. The big bearing/big brake axle was standard with the 4900 lb GVWR. The big bearing/small brake axle was in between and probably standard on the 4450/4500 lb GVWR.