• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Michigan Dunes

jhill52

Several of you on here are from Michigan and have been to Silver Lake. I am planning to go next summer and am looking for any advice on running the dunes.

I have a 72 with a 302, a 3 spd and a 3.55 limited slip diff. The engine has some modifications done by a PO. I think it has an RV cam. It does have headers, and a Holley 500 cfm 3 barrel on a stock manifold. It runs quite strong.

Tires are half worn 10.50 BFG A/Ts. I have also added James Duff old style traction bars. It has a family cage and front and rear custom bumpers. I plan to add shackle brackets and I have a Hi- Lift jack with a home brew Safe-Jac base.
I also carry a nylon tow strap.

Lookin for any information I can get.

Thanks
Jerry

talltire

Loc.
bellevue
you will also need a flag mounted to the front of your bronco. they sell them at the shops up there for like 20 bucks i think. you will also need a o.r.v sticker. a state park or a daily pass to get in to the dunes. the weekend of memorial day weekend you will have to get a vocher to get in. either dune ready or a parking lot vocher. big thing is tire pressure. drop down to 8 or 10 pounds see how it goes. if need be drop more but go down like a pound at a time. take it slow the first time you go. watch out for drop off the dunes change all the time with the wind.
when are u going maybe we can all set something up to go. hope this helps some sure other will chime in with some other stuff to do.

moosebob

if you REALLY want to have fun, I am looking to sell my Paddle Tires from my Bronco.

Go anywhere u want in 2WD!

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 94

Hank_

Bronco Guru
you will also need a flag mounted to the front of your bronco. they sell them at the shops up there for like 20 bucks i think. you will also need a o.r.v sticker. a state park or a daily pass to get in to the dunes. the weekend of memorial day weekend you will have to get a vocher to get in. either dune ready or a parking lot vocher. big thing is tire pressure. drop down to 8 or 10 pounds see how it goes. if need be drop more but go down like a pound at a time. take it slow the first time you go. watch out for drop off the dunes change all the time with the wind.
when are u going maybe we can all set something up to go. hope this helps some sure other will chime in with some other stuff to do.

This is all great advice. Like he said go slow the first time around. Your bronco should have no problems driving up all the dunes out there. Go especially slow when cresting a dune as some drop off very quickly. If you are taking your family you can pack a cooler full of goodies and a canopy and drive over the dunes to Lake Michigan. There are picnic tables along the lake if you get there early enough to grab one. Set up your spot and use that home base while your out there. Its nice to take a swim or just put the tailgate down and watch all the vehicles cruise by. I have been going there for over 30 years and is one of my favorite trips every year.

Henry

Last edited:

moosebob

Hank,
I have not been there since the early eighties, Is the parking area large enough to handle a 40' 5th wheel toy hauler? Or would I need to park it elsewhere?

Or, do they have an RV parking area with access to the dunes?

Thanks,

Moose

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Hank,
I have not been there since the early eighties, Is the parking area large enough to handle a 40' 5th wheel toy hauler? Or would I need to park it elsewhere?

Or, do they have an RV parking area with access to the dunes?

Thanks,

Moose

The parking lot is big enough but if on the weekend you would have to get a voucher at the rangers station. check here http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?type=SPRK&id=493 for some more specific details about the park. Lots of big rigs with trailers in the parking area.

Henry

OP
OP
J

jhill52

Thanks for the great info. How do any of you mount the flag.

OP
OP
J

jhill52

Getting together up there sounds like fun. But it is too early for me to plan anything.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
That's a trip I would like to make one of these days as well. Looks like a lot of fun!

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the great info. How do any of you mount the flag.

If you have the stock bumper just make a mounting tab and bolt it on. I have a plate bumper and I drilled a hole in my bumper and welded a nut to the top. Now when I go to the dunes I just screw flag to the bumper and I'm done.

Henry

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you set a date let us all know, then maybe we can have a round up of sorts. My advice would be to go on a non holiday weekend. Holiday weekends tend to be very busy and is harder to get on the dunes when you want to. Vouchers for times to get on the dunes are required for weekends. Been going there the last 35 years. its a great time and there are trails all over the place besides the dunes. You wont be sorry you went. It's great family fun.

frenchy

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Had a great time up there with my brothers this fall. Broke the front u joint on both my '68 and '72. I have better axles and joints now, but I was pretty hard on the trucks. Made it everywhere in 2wd, including the drive home. That's the first time I've had issues breaking anything in past few years. Tire pressure is very important. I ran about 6 psi. Bring a tow strap, and make sure you have good pull points in case you need a tug.

OP
OP
J

jhill52

So what thread size is the flag. I want to go ahead and build a mount so i am ready.

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on what flag you buy. There are different size flag poles up there.

frenchy

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
We took a trip up there a few years back - before the Bronco was done. Rented a house on a lake just south of Silver Lake. We rented a buggy & tooled around for a few hours, it was a blast & we enjoyed the area. I could have sat and watched the rigs go up or try to go up test hill all day! We're going back this summer but don't have a date set yet. It would be cool if we could get a group together.

trevorJ93

Loc.
Portage, MI
I try and get up their multiple times a year tons of fun even in a stock bronco I would be in for a summer bronco get together but like said befor holiday weekends get crazy they are best to avoid