• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mid 80's truck driveline into bronco?

BigB

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if the complete driveline engine(351w)/4 speed/np205 will go into a bronco?

There is one local to me for sale. Waiting on engine date code to find out exact year.

Did a search and also through google but couldn't come up with an answer.

Will the 4 speed be a NP435?

Thanks for your help

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
You can make anything fit, but 2 big issues are upper intake height and width of NP205. Intake won't fit without a big body lift and big scoop or bubble hood. There are work-arounds for the upper intake, but to fit the 205 you need to notch and reinforce the frame. I would not recommend it.

OP
OP
B

BigB

Thanks Scoop

The motor has a carb not efi.

I have a 2" body lift and know the 351w will fit but more asking about the gearbox and transfer case.

Also realise you can get anything to fit. I should have clarified if it will drop in easily without major modifications.

Cheers.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If it is 80's, it isn't an NP205. NP208 or some Borg Warner chain drive. Chain drive is too wide for the narrow Bronco frame.
4-speed could be a NP435 to T18 if it has a granny 1st in it. I don't think they used the 4-speed overdrive with the 351.
Also check that it is a 351W, in the early 80's they were still using the 351M.

OP
OP
B

BigB

If it is 80's, it isn't an NP205. NP208 or some Borg Warner chain drive. Chain drive is too wide for the narrow Bronco frame.
4-speed could be a NP435 to T18 if it has a granny 1st in it. I don't think they used the 4-speed overdrive with the 351.
Also check that it is a 351W, in the early 80's they were still using the 351M.

"Bingo" we have a winner!!

Just got the codes and it's a 77 351M.

agent_orange_71

Loc.
Bluefield, WV
My 86 has the chain BW case, 1345 I think it is. It looks alot smaller than the 208. Low range is 2.72, which is nice, but it's not exactly stout from what I've read. Probably not worth the trouble for the low range alone. I can measure mine if you need me to.

Edit: Nevermind all that if it's a 77.

Ranchtruck

You can make anything fit, but 2 big issues are upper intake height and width of NP205. Intake won't fit without a big body lift and big scoop or bubble hood. There are work-arounds for the upper intake, but to fit the 205 you need to notch and reinforce the frame. I would not recommend it.

NP205 fits fine without modding the frame. It's the aluminum transfer cases that a bigger and don't fit.