• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mig welder recomendation

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I really feel the 220V is the way to go. But if you can't do that I would look at one of the name brand invertor based machines (as opposed tot he old school transformer). Being more efficient you should be able to get more out of a 110V power source. And many are duel voltage and can take 220V if available.

Before you go too far into the 110V route, how good are the outlets in the garage? How much run is there between the panel and the garage? is it done in 12 or 14 gauge? If you have a single 50' run of 14 gauge wire running everything in the garage you are out of luck anyway. You will have voltage drops every trigger pull, lights dimming, you will never get a good weld regardless of how good of a welder you get. If you have a fairly short 12 gauge (20 amp) service, especially a dedicated outlet, then a 110V welder will work fine. The point is if you need better power in the garage to run any welder, you might as well do it in 220V.

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
I bought the small wire fed flux core Lincoln at either Lowes or Home Depot. It was affordable. I too am using it for many welding projects. The more I use it, the better I get at adjusting it to get the right outcome. I have welded on my rollbar, made my seat brackets, made my brackets for me steps, sealed up holes, just about everything. I could not be happier. On spots where I think I need more strength, I slow down my bead, use the .35 wire, and sometimes run an extra bead.

Scott

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Damnit. lol. So much to consider. I was really trying to find a decent welder for under a grand total. The only 220 I have is for my dryer in the house. By the time I buy a 220 welder and have the garage wired for it Im pretty sure I'll be at least around $2500. Its really hard for me to justify that kind of money for the limited amount of welding I plan on doing. Im going to have to do some more thinking and research.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Here's what you don't want. You don't want to be "that guy" who's bumper fell off while pulling out that jeep.

My advice is to buy used. I got my Hobart 180 with bottle and cart for $300. That was a great deal, but I was very patient. You can also get a used 120v mig for light duty stuff, and a used 220v arc welder for structural stuff.

Is your panel in the garage? Adding 220 is not hard.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Damnit. lol. So much to consider. I was really trying to find a decent welder for under a grand total. The only 220 I have is for my dryer in the house. By the time I buy a 220 welder and have the garage wired for it Im pretty sure I'll be at least around $2500. Its really hard for me to justify that kind of money for the limited amount of welding I plan on doing. Im going to have to do some more thinking and research.

Ok, you don't HAVE to have your garage wired for 220. I installed a 220 air compressor in the garage and they wanted $1000 to wire it. Plus I didn't have an extra spot in my panel. So I bought this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leviton-IND...A-14-30P-14-30-30A-125-250-Bulk-/350850991201

and this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-4-SOOW-S...le-/370748718205?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160

and made a 40 foot extension cord capable of handling 30 amps.

You don't need 10-4 cord since you'll only be using 3 of the wires (I needed the 4 so I could run a 120V fan on the same plug). You can get cheaper 10-3 from Home Depot for like $1.75/ft.

My compressor was hard wired into the other end, but you can buy the female plug for the other end for like $10. When you use the welder, unplug the dryer and plug in the extension cord. That's what I do with the Compressor.

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Look into the Hobart 210 MVP. It has the dual settings to run 110/220 volts. That way you can use the 110 and if later you need to go a little bigger you can wire in a 220 plug. It fits your budget as it is $899.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
It's hard to beat Hobarts quality/features/price point.
There are better welders out there (Miller) but you pay for it.
I'm on high profile construction sites every day and all you see is Miller blue boxes everywhere.
The iron workers use these welders every damn day (and "all" day too).
Conversely I haven't used my Hobart 187 for over a month. The Hobarts use Miller cords and guns as well as a few other little parts.
I would love a Miller but there are just too many great deals/sales/versions of the Hobarts for a "regular" guy to ignore.

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Thanks guys. That dual voltage Hobart MVP is looking pretty good. And If I really need the 220 I could always run an extension cord from my dryer outlet, right?

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
There are deals on used out there,usually not when you want it,unless your paitent. About 8 years ago at a garage sale the guy asked me if I was interested in any welding gear. Long story short...
175-220V Lincoln Mig
185 Square wave Lincoln Tig
Plummers acc/oxy set.
7 bottles,acc,oxy,argon and a tool box full of bodies and tips,hoses,leathers,hood.
All for $1000.
A week later he came by my house and said his moving plans had changed and he would give me my grand back for just the Tig. Sorry Charlie,all sales final.....

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
When i wanted to start welding i did alot of searching for a great welder at a great price. I settled on the Eastwood Mig135. It easily did all the frame repair, dual shocks, PS reinforcing plate etc..that i needed. It is a 120V unit and fully adjustable.
It has been compared to comparable Millers and has great reviews. I have owned for about 1 1/2 years with fairly continued use with zero issues.

Whichever you go with make sure you use gas and practice first.

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welder-...=40408681407&gclid=CL3F_ebbtbkCFQ6f4Aodcz4AWA

Attachments

• DSC01560.jpg
    DSC01560.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC01562.jpg
    DSC01562.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02174.jpg
    DSC02174.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02167.jpg
    DSC02167.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02007.jpg
    DSC02007.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02009.jpg
    DSC02009.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 24

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Here's what you don't want. You don't want to be "that guy" who's bumper fell off while pulling out that jeep.

My advice is to buy used. I got my Hobart 180 with bottle and cart for $300. That was a great deal, but I was very patient. You can also get a used 120v mig for light duty stuff, and a used 220v arc welder for structural stuff.

Is your panel in the garage? Adding 220 is not hard.

I have a Hobart 140 to do sheet metal and light stuff and a Miller AC-DC stick when I need the big guns. I use the Hobart 140 for 99% of what I do these days.
If you have room in the panel, wiring a 220 plug is really simple. I wired my entire shop from the entrance and 200amp panel to welder,air compressor-5HP-and 20-30 amp plugs. Yes, it was all inspected.

70 Steed

Thanks guys. That dual voltage Hobart MVP is looking pretty good. And If I really need the 220 I could always run an extension cord from my dryer outlet, right?

Probably not. Your dryer circuit is probably 30 amps. I just bought a Millermatic 211 dual voltage and the 220 volt requires a 50 amp circuit. I got it at my local welding supply for $1079 which was within a few bucks of the best online price. Also Miller had a 15% mail in rebate which unfortunately (for you) expired August 31.

OP
OP
addicted

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
Damn. Well Ive pretty much decided to just go with a dual voltage unit anyway. Im really leaning towards the Hobart MVP. I think I could get it along with a good auto dark hood and a bottle rental for right around a grand. Then I can practice my welding by building a cart and some other little non Bronco projects I need to do. If the time comes when I need to 220 then I'll bite the bullet and get the garage wired for it. But 90% of the stuff I need to do is on 3/16 or smaller so I think I'll be ok for a while with the lower voltage.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
If you are serious about a welder then check out pawn shops or Craigs list for a bigger Millet, or a Lincoln. A buzz box Stick welder could be used as a power source for an high frequency unit. The 110 welder are just enough to cause trouble. I say that because penetration is important.....and you will not get whats ( needed ) when doing thicker materials. When it comes to your power coming into the panel.......Thats wher your eyes need to be wide open. Its best to hire a pro. If you have no background in electrical work......110 will kill as fast as 12000I ask me...I died once....a careless worker cost me my first life....

pipermike

I was in the same boat recently, like others have said make sure you're on a 20 amp breaker. I bought the Miller 211 and could never keep it running on 110 without tripping. I ended up doing a sub pannel in the garage with the 220 outlet, like everything else in life the cost always snowball!