• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mile marker supreme hub problem

winston vizsla

Loc.
Birmingham
I just installed new mile marker supreme hubs in my '73 bronco tonight. My problem is the inner snap ring doesn't fit, only the outer C ring. My brother and I were able to use a pry bar behind the u-joint and finagle the shaft out enough to get the snap ring over the axle shaft. The problem? It's so tight that when you screw the caps back on it nothing spins.

In the instruction manual it actually says that the inner snap ring won't fit on some older model vehicles and that's it fine but it just seems weird to me. Has anyone else had/seen/heard of this issue?

DJs74

Bronco Guru
I recently installed the same hubs on my '74. I could not get the axle out far enough to get the small snap ring on either. Yes, according to the instructions, they say that you might not be able to install the small ring - so I didn't and everything works fine without it

DJs74

SeanT4x4

You'll see a very similar note in the packaging for the Warn premiums. It's not limited to MM.

2nd. I did the Warns on a 71 and was not able to install the small inner ring. Just the larger retaining ring that fits into the rotor.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Hope you have better luck with your MM hubs... Shredded one last time out (first time out on the hubs)

And yes the inner snap ring did not fit. Do you have any slop on the hub once installed? I did, not sure if that was the issue or not.

Went with warn premiums as a replacement in the trail and they did fine.

eraname3.jpg

ze5uguvy.jpg

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Are you running the Chevy disc brake conversion?
If so, it's normal to not use the small outer snap ring as the spindle is now spaced further out.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
All the hubs suck expect yukon hardcore. I blew up a set of mm hubs 1st time out. Warns are getting just as bad. Old for hubs are wicked strong or the Yukon hardcore

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Huh - I've had nothing but great luck with MM hubs, I've only trashed one of them since 04'.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
.... Old for hubs are wicked strong ....

Yup. All steel...

I'm anal about having that axles tip snap ring in place because that is what pulls/keeps the stub out far enough to ensure good face contact of the rubber V-ring seal on the backside.

But that's just me....I realize that there are a lot of axles running around apparently fine without the snap ring.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What the heck is breaking on the MM hubs? The Yukons are over $300....

I quit using Warn premium because the chrome kept sluffing off.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
The gears in mine just let up and chewed them self smooth where the locking part meet. not the spline portion.

FWIW....sounded like M-80 got lit off in the truck when is went!

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Huh - I've had nothing but great luck with MM hubs, I've only trashed one of them since 04'.

Dana 60 mm hubs are a different animal. The Dana 44 Ones Are junk so are warn in my opinion. Some people like that fuse but I prefer It all be super strong.

1. Yukon hard core
2. Dynatrac
3. Ford blue dial (close to Yukon design)
4. Ford red dial
5. Warn
6. Mm super winch

These Would Be My Strength Rating

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm talking D44 hubs, never had anything but Ford hubs on my D60, and never broke one of those either.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I've broken every mm and warn hub standard and premium I've owned. Mm hubs in 1st trip to moab. Warns last a couple seasons. This is why I went for Yukon hubs instead of the cheaper ones.. I remember when warns were really strong but I've read that warn and mm are sourcing there steel out of the USA

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Huh - that sucks. I drive hard too - multiple D70 R&P's, 1.5" 35 spline shafts, D60 stub shafts and NP435 outputs and never a factory faded Ford lockout... I've only trashed them after the shaft explodes and you keep going and everything else goes to hell, including the spindle...

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I have never broken a Dana 60 anything. . Dana 44 with 37" tires lots of horsepower np435. 4340 axles lockers just pushing limits of a 44. I will say older warn , mm, etc is probably significantly stronger. Maybe I was unlucky but if something is going to break I prefer a hub for ease of repair.. I would spend the money on at a minimum warn

ol gray mare

I run the chev disc conversion on my D44. The snap ring won't go on, so I put a bolt and fender washer on the end of the axle stub to replace it. I've heard some stubs don't have the threaded hole on the end though.