• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

missing charcoal canister and lines

cs29ff12

i have been building a 71 for a while now and after some looking i never got the emissions system with the truck. my girl is very picky about gas smells and i do not want to open another can of worms. how do i avoid the smell of gas and how do i route the two vent lines on te gas tank

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
not really sure how to answer your questions 'cause I'm not sure what you are after. The charcoal canister can be removed and this will not cause any problems that I have experience. All the vent lines can be looped, at least that is what I did and have had no issues. There my be a vent tank behind the drivers side door striker that could have a crack in it an cause fumes to leak into the cab. I need a bit more info.
Are you getting fumes from gas or from exhaust?
Are the vent lines to the tank or tanks missing?
Are the lines capped?

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
If you need a canister I've got on you can have sitting in my garage. I'd just cap/loop all the lines and call it a day though.

OP
OP
C

cs29ff12

ok i have not put gas in the truck its still under construction but i am trying to avoid any problems. the vent canister behind the drivers seat in the cab is not there it has never been there since i owned it. i just wanted to do things right and avoid gas smells and know if i really needed it.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
My guess is if you follow your lines they probably don't run to that thing anymore anyway, so you don't have to worry about it. I've never even see one with that canister still connected.If you just bypass it altogether you won't have fumes to worry about.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I argree. unless you are doing a true restoration and the local emissions cops don't care ditch the canisters just loop the line so that they vent high and outside. I think I looped one and installed a oneway (no water in and fumes out) filter on it and zip tied it to the filler neck on one of my trucks.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
My guess is if you follow your lines they probably don't run to that thing anymore anyway, so you don't have to worry about it. I've never even see one with that canister still connected.If you just bypass it altogether you won't have fumes to worry about.

But the whole idea of the charcoal canister is to catch fumes from the tanks so you dont have the smell. If you don't have the canister (like the older models) the tank vents out the cap. Ask me why my garage stinks. ;D

3T

I still have my charcoal canister and vent tank in my Bronco. It seems to work because no gas smell.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
There was another thread on here recently where someone posted a diagram for the vent line routing, hopefully someone else will chime in with that for you.

The vent lines, vapor bottle, and charcoal canister are all still installed on my '73 and work great when everything's in good shape. Here in Maricopa county, AZ, they look for the charcoal canister every year as part of my emissions test. They don't look to see if it's hooked up though. The only time I have any sort of gas smell is when I fill up the main tank & park it in the hot garage. I know that I have a split in the OEM vent line somewhere up by the selector switch that's likely causing it to vent into the garage, so I just need to find it & fix it. Venting into the atmosphere will result in that gas smell that you're wanting to avoid....